Location: Southwest Harbor, Hancock, Maine, United States
Surnames/tags: One_Place_Studies Maine Hancock_County_Maine
Southwest Harbor is located just west of the southern entrance to Somes Sound on Mount Desert Island in Hancock County, settled in 1761 and incorporated 1905. Southwest Harbor was the name of the harbor and was a populated place long before it became a town.
|-1534||name unknown||Wabanaki peoples - the Penobscot and perhaps Passamaquoddy.|
|1534-1760||Nouvelle France||Under French control, no known European settlers|
Lincoln, Massachusetts Bay
|France surrenders September 8, 1760, Britain officially takes control of the area|
|1762||Township #3 East of Union River was formed February 27, 1762|
|1776||America declarers independence from Britain July 4, 1776|
|1776||Mount Desert Plantation, Lincoln, Massachusetts||Mount Desert Plantation was formed March 2, 1776 from a portion of Township #3 EUR|
|1789||Mount Desert, Lincoln, Massachusetts||Mount Desert incorporated February 17, 1789 from from Mount Desert Plantation.|
|1789||Mount Desert, Hancock, Massachusetts||Hancock County is formed June 25, 1789|
|1820||Mount Desert, Hancock, Maine||Maine becomes the 23 state March 15, 1820|
|1848|| Mansel, Hancock, Maine|
(only for 3 months!)
|Mansel Incorporated June 3, 1848 from a portion of Mount Desert|
|1848||Tremont, Hancock, Maine||Mansel was renamed Tremont August 8 1848|
|1905||Southwest Harbor, Hancock, Maine||Southwest Harbor was incorporated February 21, 1905 from a portion of Tremont|
Villages, Locations and Settlements
|Villages, Locations |
|Fernald Cove||Tobias Fernald 1768-1839|
|Manset||Sir Robert Mansell 1573-1656)|
|Seawall||Seawall P.O., village named for the Sea Wall|
- South West Harbor (the body of water) was valuable for it's shelter and was an populated place as early as the 1770's. The village of Southwest Harbor (probably) predates Tremont.
- Manset, part of Southwest Harbor, Maine, is on the southwestern side of Mount Desert Island near the southern entrance to Somes Sound, the only Fjord on the east coast of the United States." 
- SEA WALL ...a naturally occurring granite and loose boulder and rock seawall located on the southwestern side of Mount Desert Island about four miles south of the main city section of Southwest Harbor."
Many of them are listed as pioneer settlers of Mount Desert.
|Pioneer Settler||Arrival Year|
|to be added|
|Greening aka Langley's Island||Phillip Langley|
- Southwest Harbor on Google Maps
- Mount Desert : a history by Street, George Edward
- The Southwest Harbor Public Library Digital Archive "...contains historic photographs, documents, maps, and research material given to and shared with the library since about 1900."
- Traditions and records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert island, Maineby Thornton, Nellie
- Southwest Harbor on WikiPedia
- Maine Genealogy Net Southwest Harbor
- Varney, George J. 1886. Gazetteer of the state of Maine: with numerous illustrations.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Adrian Stanley, Darryl Rowles, and One Place Studies Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)