Join the study
Current members of the Spring Name Study are:
- Clare Spring
- Kristy King
- Mick Spring
- Dan Stoe
- .... (to join the study, please add your name and Wikitree profile ID here by clicking 'Edit' in the ribbon at the top of this page and adding a bullet point)....
If you have questions, please contact the project leader Clare Spring or leave a comment at the foot of the page.
About the study
The study is currently:
- Writing and improving Wikitree profiles for people with the last name at birth (LNAB) 'Spring'
(about 6650 Springs: 21 March 2023)
- Monitoring Spring profile changes, and thanking contributors for genuine improvements
(see the Spring activity feed)
- Grouping Spring families using categories, collecting together Springs with the same known common Spring ancestor and relatives
(about 4854 Springs in 99 identified family groups: 25 March 2020)
- Identifying Wikitree Springs not yet grouped by sequentially working through Spring profiles and adding ungrouped Springs to a list of Wikitree Springs not yet in family groups
(Checked to Spring-1820: 25 March 2020)
- Adding categories to Spring profiles, particularly for locations, employment, achievements and cemeteries, with the hope that, in the future, the potential for Wikitree categories will be better realised
(some of that potential is explored in this G2G thread)
- Connecting unconnected Springs to the main tree
(about 608 Springs unconnected: 21 March 2023)
- Addressing data doctors suggestions for profiles with Spring in the name
(53 suggestions: 23 March 2020)
- Reviewing the 1851 England and Wales Census for clues about improving Wikitree profiles, using FamilySearch, which returns 957 Springs in its collection database
(322 Springs reviewed, 263 Springs added to the applicable category: 12 January 2020)
- Seeking help to improve Spring profiles on G2G using the tag 'Spring'
(Confusingly, the Spring tag also seems to be used a lot for Wikitree's Spring-clean-a-thon)
- Tagging Springs on Trove Trove is the National Library of Australia's online research website. We tag newspaper articles and other Trove sources using the format Wikitree: Spring-ID# (where ID# refers to the related Spring's ID on Wikitree). There are hundreds of tagged Spring sources in the Trove tag cloud
- ...(if you join the study, you are welcome to add what you're working on here)...
At this point in time, the study is not considering Spring surname variants.
About the last name 'Spring'
According to forebears.io (accessed 12 January 2020), there are around 25,000 Springs, it being the 21,936th most common last name in the world. Forebears.io estimates incidence of more than 1,000 Springs in the following nations:
- United States: 11,860
- England: 2,512
- Switzerland: 2,339
- Germany: 1,612
- Australia: 1,515
- Canada: 1,229
.... (in time, it is hoped there will be substantially more information included here about Springs— early mentions, their locations, key figures, information about the family groups. Your contributions to this text are most welcome at any time)....
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Clare Spring and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)