Location: Martinsville, Wisconsin
St. Martin's Church
Endres Family genealogy 1700-1900 Compiled by Barbara Endres (Mrs. Rollan Anthony Endres) 1975
In frontier days, the church was the center of community life. It was the force which united the people in a strange land. The church was the important factor which insured thepeiople of the new community that they could settle down and live and prosper in the new land.
The eraly churches made a great contribution to the artistic and architectural heritage of the new nation. In N.W. Dane County the Catholic church represented the architect's expression of the spiritual life of the community. It was an outward expression of the people's relationship with God. The architecture and art of the church established an atmosphere in which to worship. As a result the best architecture and art was put into the building of the church. Thus the church expressed the people's most worthy asperatins and spirtual pricniples.
The interior arrnagmenet of the church was an outward sign of theological undersanding between the people and their God. The church's plan called for a holy place for the presence of God and a place where his statue was placed. The second part of the church was a place of ritual where only priests were allowed. The third part was a public place for the people of the community.
St. Marin's church, built in 1861, is an excellent example of the early Catholic church. The beauty of the alter and the lovely stained glass widnwos set an atmosphere where the people could feel the presense of God and worship together. Surely here their hopes and prayers for a better life in their new home could be fostered. Here too, they could feel a sense of stability and safety and mutual kinship.
St. Martin's parish was established at Springfield Corners on January 20, 1850. Pruior to this and as early as 1846, the community was a mission of St. Norbert House, Roxbury. As a mission the community was attended by the Rev. Fathers Max Gaertner, Adalbert Inama, and Francis Sailes of the Order of Praemonstatensians, services being held in the homes of the settlers.
In 1850, the first church was built at Marinsville and the priest came from Cross Plains. The first of these was the REv. Lawrence Conrad. He was succeeded by the REv. Father Gernbauer in 1861. The first resident priest was the REv. Father Eusebius Hensler. The corner stone of the present church was laid in 1861. From 1864-1868, the following priests were at ST. Marin's. The Rev. Fathers Alphons M. Shedle, Anthony Froeckler, Joseph Maly, Peter J. Voissen and Francis Zastera. In 1868 the REv. A. Zitterl became pastor and the church ws completed. It was blessed on June 20, 1869. Following Fr. Zitterl came the Rev. Fathers Joseph A. Dreis, J.H> Korfhage, G. Trimberger, A. Gardthaus, H.B. Ries, Nicholas Lamcher, Joseph Maly, Michael Weyer, John Hausler, and Clarence Stoffel. Since 1937 Father Stoffel has been the pastor.
The Catholic Church in Wisconsin - Catholic Historical Publ. Co. Cram - The Substance of Gothich Cram - The Catholic Church and Art Comes - Catholic Art and architecture Day - STained Glass Brannach - Church Architecture Saint and ARnold Stained Glass Weber - Catholic Ecclsiology