Location: Hanover, York, Pennsylvania, United States
For profiles, see the category.
The church, now located at 30 West Chestnut Street, Hanover PA 17331, had its first baptism in April 1731. Their first pastor, Rev. David Candler, (appointed 1743; died 1744) served in a log house in nearby Midway (1 mile from the current church). He was eventually succeeded in 1748 by John Helfrich Schaum, who united the York and Hanover parishes. He served from 1748 to 1752, and was ordained by the first synod in 1749. Other German pastors followed.
The second church building was erected in 1756 near the present site of All Saints Episcopal Church. The congregation was renamed “St. Michael’s Evangelical Lutheran Church.”
In 1802, ground was broken for a third church building, constructed on the present site of the Fellowship Building, and dedicated in 1807 by a congregation of 160 members with the spire and bell added soon afterward.
A new church, except for the spire, was built in 1878-79, the third church building was torn down, except for the spire, and a new house of worship was erected. The cornerstone-laying was conducted in both English and German.
The fifth and present church building, begun in 1922, was dedicated September 28, 1924.
This congregation has been active since 1731.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)