Location: North Clifton, Nottinghamshire
This page is part of the Nottinghamshire Cemeteries Team
See the St George the Martyr page for people buried in this churchyard.
Cemetery name: St George the Martyr
Address: Church Lane, North Clifton, Nottinghamshire, NG23 7AP
GPS Coordinates: 53.231953, -0.774274
OS grid: SK819712
The church of St George the Martyr is located on Church Lane which connects the two villages of North Clifton and South Clifton, both of which lie about a mile from the church. The churchyard is bordered by a black painted brick wall with black and white iron railings. These were installed by Mrs Ellen Freeth in 1899 and there is a dedication plaque to her in the wall. The Freeths were major benefactors of the church in the Victorian era and Mrs Ellen is buried here. Her husband George is buried in his birth village of Edwalton near Nottingham.
There is parking for a small number of cars on the grass verge immediately in front of the wall. The cemetery is still in use and burials, though not frequent, may occur at any time.
There are a total of 3056 burials recorded in the parish registers for the period of 1700 to 1992, earlier parish registers have not yet been transcribed. There are about 650 memorials in the churchyard and these are currently (2019) in the process of being documented.
The earliest (still readable) headstone found so far belongs to a William Watkinson who died in 1724 aged 61.