Location: Bamford, Derbyshire
St John the Baptist Church, Bamford
St John the Baptist Churchyard, Bamford with Derwent Churchyard
The building is largely a William Butterfield restoration dating from 1860, with a bell tower. The church is in a joint parish with St Michael and All Angels' Church, Hathersage and St Helen's Church, Grindleford.
The pipe organ was built by Albert Keates of Sheffield.
A peal of six bells was provided at the rebuilding in 1860 by Naylor, Vickers and Co of Sheffield. The tower currently has six ringable bells, cast in 1998 by John Taylor & Co to mark the Millennium. The modern bells have sprung metal stays instead of wooden ones. The Treble weighs 1 hundredweight 3 quarters and 12lb (94.4 kg). The tenor weighs 1 hundredweight and 26lb (215.2 kg).
The churchyard: Exhumations from the cemetery of the village of Derwent were re-interred in St John's churchyard after the construction of the Ladybower Dam submerged that village during the Second World War. Also in the graveyard is a grave marking the dead from Tin Town (Birchinlee), a temporary village constructed for the workers who built the Derwent and the Howden dams in 1902. There is a memorial for the dead of the Holocaust. The churchyard contains war graves. The war memorial is also adjacent.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)