Location: Papanui, Canterbury
A free-space page for capturing and recording interments at St Paul's Churchyard in Papanui, Canterbury.
St Paul's Church, Papanui
The first church on this site was one of the earliest churches in Christchurch having been built in 1852. The parish was established to service the community that quickly developed around the Papanui Bush following the arrival of the Canterbury Association Settlers.
By the mid 1870s the original church was no longer adequate and a new church was built in 1877. The church has continued to serve the Anglican community of Papanui for 160 years whilst the graveyard, in which the first burial took place in 1853, remained open until 1995 and is the resting place of a number of notable Cantabrians.
About this Free-Space Page
This free space page for St Paul's Churchyard was created to document the life and times of our ancestors that are interred there. The New Zealand Cemeteries Team is part of the Global Cemeteries Project.
This page is a work in progress, and will remain so until the Table of Interments (below) is completed. The Table of Interments is a sortable listing of persons interred at this cemetery, some or all of whom are linked to existing WikiTree profiles. Although all grave markers in this cemetery are being photographed, the photos can only be displayed for persons with existing WikiTree profiles. If you know of a person interred at this cemetery that should be linked to an existing WikiTree profile, or needs to have a profile created for them, please contact Darren Kellett for assistance, or one of the Cemeterists for The New Zealand Cemeteries Project.
- In progress
- Approximately 0% in progress
- In progress
- 0 transcriptions completed
- 0 photographs linked in Table of Interments, below.
Profiles On other lists
- Wikitree: 6
- Findagrave: 1252
- Billion Graves : 1381
Project members are needed to:
- Assist with data collection and grave marker transcriptions
- Additional photography and GPS data collection is needed, and previously collected data can be sent by email to other members willing to assist with transcriptions.
- Link existing profiles or create new profiles for persons listed in the Table of Interments
- When complete, everyone listed in the Table of Interments will be linked to their own WikiTree profile, and to a photo of that person's corresponding grave marker. The created profiles can include other genealogical and biographical information as well as a listing of sources for documentation.
- Validate links and transcription information
- Profile and photo links and transcribed information needs to be cross-checked to ensure accuracy.
- Create an audio/video tour of the cemetery
- Record a virtual tour of the cemetery that can be viewed as downloadable media on computers, tablets or other device. Such a tour would take the viewer around the cemetery to explore the history of the people buried here. Background information can be supplied. Those with mobile internet access can access online links to more information.
Table of Interments
|Last Name||First Name||Born||Died||Photo #||FindAGrave#|
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)