upload image

St Paul's Churchyard, Paihia, Free Space

Privacy Level: Open (White)

Location: Paihia, Northland, New Zealandmap
Surnames/tags: Cemeteries New_Zealand Paihia
This page has been accessed 172 times.

Williams Memorial Church of St Paul - St Paul's Churchyard

The current church on the site where the cemetery is was built in about 1925 and replaced the former church. The graves mostly predate the church with burials dating from 1826. There were several important people in European history buried here.

The church is known as Williams Memorial Church of St Paul (Anglican).

Consecrated in 1926 by Archbishop Averill this is the fourth church on this site. It was designed by Auckland architectural firm Jones and Palmer. The stone masonry was by Liddles of Auckland.

This church features massive walls of blue stone, quarried locally with contrasting brick ornamentation around arched doors and windows. The roof is slated while above the main entrance there is a lead-capped spiral.

The church commemorates the famous missionary Henry Williams. The hand organ, the second oldest in New Zealand, once belonged to Archdeacon Henry Williams. The building and site has a Historic Place Category 1.

Links





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.