STARK- English, German
From a nickname meaning "strong, rigid", from Old English stearc in Sussex, or Old High German stark. 
The surname is also found in: France
If you know of other locations, please let me know and I'll add them, however, this page is most interested in the predominant locations where the name is found.
About the Project
The Stark Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Stark name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the SRNM name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Starks), by time period (18th Century Starks), or by topic (Stark DNA, Stark Occupations, Stark Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Stark Name Study, first start out by browsing our current research pages to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
Here are some of the current research pages included in the study. I'll be working on them, and could use your help!
- Add your name and Wikitree i.d. here if you're researching a Stark or related name
- Keith Cook
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
- British Surnames: Stark
- Internet Surname Dababase: Stark
More specialized online links can be found below.
External tools and resources
- "What's the Point of a One-Name Study?" - YouTube video by Helen Osborn of the Guild of One Name Studies.
- Lists of name links - Some useful, others maybe not.
- Map your data - A nice way to view family distribution
- Y-STR markers - Markers used in yDNA research and how are they significant.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and Michael Thomas. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)