Surnames/tags: Stoba Stobie Stobo
About the Project
The Stobo Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Stobo name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Stobo name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Stobos), by time period (18th Century Stobos), or by topic (Stobo DNA, Stobo Occupations, Stobo Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
- Find sources for unsourced profiles
- Identify locations for profiles in Category: Stobo Name Study, and subcategorize them properly
- Connect unconnected Stobos to the global tree
- Identify immigrant Stobos and add them to the timeline on the relevant study page
- Find the origin of the Stobo name!
Findings so Far
All roads lead to Lanarkshire, Scotland... but can we narrow it down even further?
How to Join
To join the Stobo Name Study, first start out by browsing our current research pages to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in! Make sure to add Stobo to your list of followed tags.
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
- A Short History of the Stobo Family from 1750 to the present day by Ian and Elaine Stobo, 1998 - unknown if a copy exists online
- The History of the Parish of Crawfordjohn - still need to locate, mentioned in A Short History of the Stobo Family
- Major Robert Stobo - Virginia Militia, spy for the British Army
- Walter Stobo - Army Service Corps, Britain
- Capt. Walter Stobo - The Green Howards (Yorkshire Regt.), Britain
Here are some of the current research pages included in the study. I'll be working on them, and could use your help!
- Space: Scotland, Stobo Name Study
- Space: England, Stobo Name Study
- Space: Wales, Stobo Name Study
- Space: Canada, Stobo Name Study
- Space: United States, Stobo Name Study
- Space: Australia, Stobo Name Study
- Andrea Edwards, study coordinator
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and Andrea Edwards. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)