About the Project
The Sumby Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Sumby name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Sumby name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Sumby's), by time period (18th Century Sumby's), or by topic (Sumby DNA, Sumby Occupations, Sumby Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches that have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Sumby Name Study, first start by browsing our current research pages to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
Here are some of the current research pages included in the study. I'll be working on them, and could use your help!
- Tracing the origin of the surname Sumby
- Collecting Sumby profiles on Wikitree
- Researching Sumbys in Sunderland
If you want to be notified whenever somebody edits this page or adds a comment, please click here to be added to the trusted list.
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
- British Surnames: Sumby
- Internet Surname Dababase: Sumby
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and David Anderson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)