Surnames/tags: sumter_county south_carolina us_history
|Sumter co., SC logo|
Sumter has a colorful history stretching back more than 300 years.
Sumter County and its county seat, the city of Sumter, were named for Revolutionary War Brigadier General Thomas Sumter (1734-1832), who was a resident of the area. This county has changed its boundaries several times
- 1664 - In early days the area of current Sumter County was part of Craven County. Even a lot of South Carolina except areas located south of Charlestown were also part of Craven County. As an illustration land grants mention the lands east of the Wateree River as being in Craven County. Craven County began near South Carolina's coast and extended from Seewee Bay 23 miles northeast, then inland 35 miles. After that settlers kept settling further into the interior further from the coast and so the boundaries moved with the settlers. Soon it had expanded to the North Carolina border. Camden-Charleston Path
- 1692- Craven County was an election district and had representation in the early South Carolina government officially called the Commons House of Assembly. Today Craven County was not a government but a geographical location. 
- 1706 Parishes were laid out from the province, then Craven ceased to be an election District. These parishes were by parishes for a while. 
- 1740's The first English speaking settlers immigrated to Sumter County Area from both Virginia and the low-country. They settled on or near the Wateree River banks. There they established roots along the banks of the Wateree River. This was called "Carolina Backcountry," at that time. the first immigrants migrated of Sumter County area were listed in Prince Frederick's Parish. However the parish church was located miles away nearer to Georgetown on the coastline.
- mid 1750's The High Hills of Santee name has been in existence as the resort for the wealthy planters with summer homes there to go to escape the summer heat and malaria. 
- 1757 the numbers of settlers had increased so much that St. Mark's Parish was formed. The line separating St. Mark's and Prince Frederick's was the northwest line of Williamsburg Township to the Santee and Pee Dee Rivers. St Mark's included the area between these 2 rivers and northward to the North Carolina line, and thus was the largest of all South Carolina Parishes. 
|Gen Thomas Sumter.|
- 1767 - The county was named after Thomas Sumter, who came from Virginia, married a local widow in 1767, owned his large plantation which was successful. After this he was a general in the American Revolution. After the war, Sumter County represented South Carolina in the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate. 
- 1769 When Circuit Court Districts were begun by the legislature, Craven County continued to be used. Claremont County was part of the original Craven County 
- 1776-1782 Men who were residents east of the Wateree River served in the American Revolution. Sumter County area had few war events except troops moving over the dirt road that is now Hwy 261 as they passed from Camden to Charleston.. But during this time living conditions were difficult. Many supplies had been taken by both sides' armies as they traveled on the "Great Road" Camden, the nearby town was destroyed. Then when the British withdrew and left, they burned their military supplies, and the fire spread to homes, burning businesses, the courthouse and jail. Soon lawlessness sprang up making it hard for residents to rebuild the homes, farms, mills. 
- 1776-82 - The city and county of Sumter bear the name of General Thomas Sumter, the "Fighting Gamecock" of the American Revolutionary War. His place in U.S. history is secure as a patriot and military genius. General Sumter was one of the models for Mel Gibson's character in the 2000 movie, "The Patriot" (along with Francis Marion and Andrew Pickens, also from South Carolina), and his service to his country continued for the duration of his long life.
|General Thomas Sumter statue located on Courthouse lawn|
- 1776-1782 Revolutionary War, General Sumter fought in many skirmishes and battles, such as the Battle of Sullivan's Island, the Georgia Campaign, Turnbull's camp, Hanging Rock and Fish Darn Ford. Sumter's fierce revolutionary zeal began with a Captain Campbell whose men ransacked Sumter's home, set his invalid wife into her wheelchair out on the lawn and burned the house. This angered Sumter, causing him to form a band of guerrillas to fight the British and win the war. After the Revolutionary War, General Sumter was elected to the United States Congress. He retired to his beloved "Home House" in the High Hills of the Santee. The General is buried in Statesburg the town where he had lived a long while and loved. 
- 1785-Another law was passed with each of the 7 circuit court systems of the state being subdivided into counties of a more manageable size. Thus the previous Camden district was divided into 7 counties. Boundaries for these were on natural lines.... York, Chester, Fairfield, Richland, Lancaster, Claremont and Clarendon.
- 1785 The South Carolina legislature created Camden District Claremont County as a part of Camden District, which had been part of Craven County. Next All of St. Mark's Parish was within Camden District. Its lines were the northwest line of Williamsburg Township to the North Carolina Line and from Lynches River to the Santee-Congaree-Broad river. 
|Holy Cross Historic Church, Stateburg, SC|
- 1786 The state capital was moved from Charleston. Stateburg, Sumter County, SC which is located on US 76/378 narrowly missed obtaining the votes to be the new state capital by one vote. When West Point was founded, Statesburg was also considered for the location for the United States Military Acedemy. 
- 1790 Constitution Clarendon and Claremont elected one Senator, with 2 representatives in the House of Representatives for each.
- 1791 3 county court judges replaced the county magistrates "to handle all business that came before the court." Lawyers opposed lay judges... Some of the county was reduced in size to form Salem County
- 1792 The County Courts were established. Some land from Clarendon and Claremont counties was used to form Salem County. "Upper Salem" was the portion extracted from Claremont county, with "Lower Salem" being the portion extracted from Clarendon County. Claremont county courthouse was located at Statesburg.....As previous county histories have mentioned, residents of these areas did not like the new system. The county courts did not prove satisfactory. Laymen felt that justice was not being effectively handled. 
- 1798 Another Change- The county court system was abolished. -Sumter County was created from Camden District. 
- Slavery Slavery on the Move
- 1800 -- The big change - Claremont, Clarendon and Salem counties were again combined to be in the Sumter District with an area of 1,672 miles. Sumter District was established on January 1, 1800. 
|map of Sumter County.|
- January 1, 1800 This area was reorganized as Sumter District when the legislature of South Carolina joined Claremont, Clarendon and Salem counties of Camden District.. The district began to function in the administration of justice through the circuit courts. Sumter County has an area of 574 square miles and a population of 43,040 (census of 1920). Native born whites number 12,421; negroes, 30,508; foreign born, 100; Indians and Chinese, 11. 
- 1800 Following creation, Sumter County was named in honor of Brigadier General Thomas Sumter, the "Gamecock" of the American Revolution. Thomas Sumter was born in Virginia. He made his home in Statesburg in the upper pine bult. Thomas Sumter lived most of his life (70 years) in South Carolina.. Half of his full life of 98 years Thomas Sumter lived in the picturesque High Hills of the Santee. When Thomas Sumter died, June 1, 1832, Thomas Sumter was the last surviving officer of the Revolutionary War. Sumter, S.C. is also called the nickname of the "Gamecock City." Thomas Sumter was a patriot and military genius.
- Of NOTE: General Sumter was one of the models for Mel Gibson's character in the 2000 movie, "The Patriot" (along with Francis Marion and Andrew Pickens, also from South Carolina).
- 1801 Mail service started for Sumterville under order of the postmaster general of the United States.
- 1830 a mail route from Charleston to Camden began passing through the village as required by law, due to the fact it was a town with a court house.
- 1845 - The village of Sumterville was incorportated. For years mail to Sumter District was carried by stage. The city of Sumter is the seat of Sumter County and the largest city, the eighth largest metropolitan area in the state of South Carolina. The city's name was shortened to Sumter in 1855. From a plantation settlement, Sumter, SC has grown and prospered from its early beginnings.
|Swan Lake Iris Gardens.|
- 1848 -The first railroad through Sumter District was the Camden & Branchville Railroad. The second major railroad was the Wilmington & Manchester Railroad, completed in 1854. For many years the mail to Sumter District was carried by stage.
- 1855 - Sumter County lost land when Clarendon was removed again reducing Sumter's area some. The name of Sumter, SC, the county Seat was shortened to Sumter. Mail service by train was started between Wilmington, North Carolina and Sumterville. Sumter District had twenty post offices: Bishopville, Bradford Institute, Bradleyville, Brewington, Clarendon, Friendship, Fulton, Lodibar, Manchester, Mechanicsville, Mill Grove, Mount Clio, Plowden's Mill, Privateer, Providence, Salem, Stateburg, Sumterville, Willow Grove, and Wright's Bluff.
BITTER MEMORIES OF the CIVIL WAR IN SUMTER COUNTY
- 1862-65 The War of Secession (Civil War) began slowly. Soon many of the younger men of Sumter District left for service in the Confederate Army. The Home Guard was composed of the older men and were stationed near the coastline. This left the women and children to raise the food, maintain order order on the farms or plantations. The ones that had servants helped. The servants also helped the women make clothes for the families and the service men also. A note that "They sent their silver to the Confederate government, the church bells to foundries to be cast into cannon, and cut their carpets into sizes to be blankets for the soldiers."
- 1863-65 Wounded soldiers from the battlefields returned by train to hospitals maintained by the Baptist and Presbyterian churches. some hospitals were also in the hotel and the private homes or courthouse. Sumter was the place which many refugees came to escape the bombardment of Charleston. The Sisters of Mercy transferred their convent from Charleston which was under attack, and opened St. Joseph's Academy in Sumter. 
- 1865 - Army supplies were stored in Sumter District became a center for army stores. Hundreds of freight cars loaded with war supplies came north through Camden or northeast to arrive in Wilmington. 
- Feb,1865 - Charleston fell. Union General William Tecumseh Sherman marched north from the sea. The city of Columbia, 45 miles away, was sacked by Sherman's army. Sumter citizens could see the glare of the burning houses at night along the "Great Road" as General Sherman's troops advanced toward Camden.
- Apr 5, 1865 Rumors were heard in Sumter of another march from the sea. This was Brig. Gen Edward E Potter. Potter left Georgetown with 2,700 Union fighting men. He and the army came on the path of the river road. As he advanced, his army burned mills, gins, cotton, looted the plantations for food and livestock. The Horrors of the civil War entered Sumter County. The people working at the courthouse, sent the public records 10 or more miles into the county where there were no homes to be safely hidden from General Potter's troops that might burn the records. 
- Apr 5, 1865 The local militia in Sumter received an order for all militia to assemble to make a show of resistance. Old men, boys, convalescent soldiers from the hospitals. With assistance from neighboring towns the Sumter force totaled about 575 strong. When citizens heard of Potter's army approaching they hid their food, and valuables. 
- Apr 9, 1865 Brigadier General Potter left Manning in Clarendon County, the same day General Robert E Lee surrendered n Appomattox. (No one knew the war had ended in Sumter County). 
- Apr 9, 1865 -Sumter and its defenders marched out the Manning Road to meet General Potter at Dingle's Mill. When the enemy came within range the little Sumter militia opened fire. They drove General Potter's first and 2nd charges. Then resistance was impossible and the militia retreated.. Brigadier General Potter did not chase them as he knew he had overrun the small militia and his men were rather tired. General Potter's main group camped that night at the train depot. The infantry camped in the Catholic grove on Liberty and on Providence road. Then Union soldiers went from house to house for contraband and Confederates. They also told food, clothing, stripped the two shops. Later they broke the printing press machinery and type.
- Apr 10, 1865-Apr 21, 1865 Quite a few families hid at Milford Plantation, which still exists today in the sandhills near Poinsettia park and St. Mark's Church. Apr 21 General Potter was on the way to Milford as he traveled to the boats located at Wright's Bluff on the Santee River for the return to Georgetown on the coastline. General Potter did not harm the Milford Plantation Estate as someone had told him that a man from New England named Potter built it.. The General by passed Milford.! 
- April 11th, 1865, Brig. General Potter's army left Sumter, traveling 12 miles to the Richard Singleton plantation in Manchester. Gen. Potter set up his headquarters at the Richard Singleton Plantation in Manchester.. General Potter and union troops blew up all railroads, engines, cotton gins, lumber, governmental stores, bales of cotton, and more or burned and destroyed. Potter's men also took 300-500 horses, mules, wagons and carts.
- Apr 13, 1865 - General Potter sent a unit over to Statesburg to do the same looting, burning or stores. The following week, the Union army destroyed anything they could find.
- Post 1865 -After the departure by General Potter, a Confederate courier brought news to Milford and the county that the Civil war had ended. Brig. Ben Potter was in Sumter District 2 weeks and ruined the district. Potter's Raid was a bitter memory of the last day of the Civil War.
- 1868 After the fall of the Confederacy, Sumter District became Sumter County. 
|High Hills of Santee Baptist Church|
- High Hills of the Santee, is a long, narrow hilly region in the western part of Sumter County, South Carolina. It has been called "one of the state's most famous areas". The High Hills of Santee region lies north of the Santee River and east of the Wateree River, one of the two rivers that join to form the Santee. It extends north almost to the Kershaw county line and northeasterly to include the former summer resort town of Bradford Springs. Since 1902 the town has been included in Lee County.
|High Hills of Santee Palmetto Trail, hiking trail|
The High Hills of Santee had many notable plantations, most of which grew cotton with slave labor. Some of them survived:
- The Cedars and the Pines, Springhill
- Summer Home in Bradford Springs, owned by Capt. James Gaillard of Charleston.
- Orange Grove (Dalzell, South Carolina)
- Bloomhill, Wedgefield;
- Borough House, Stateburg;
- Home House, Stateburg, belonged to General Thomas Sumter, who is buried there;
- Brookland Plantation House, Old Charleston Road (State Route 261), Stateburg vicinity;
- Homefield, Stateburg;
- James Hill, Stateburg;
- Magnolia Hall, Hagood;
- Marden, Stateburg;
- Melrose, Wedgefield, location of Singleton's Graveyard;
- Midway, Wedgefield;
- Miller House, later known as Ellison House, Stateburg;
Moor Hill, owned by Thomas Sumter, grandson of the general, later by DeSaussure Bull, a descendant of William Bull II
- Needwood, Stateburg
- Millford, Pinewood;
- The Oaks, Stateburg-Wedgefield Road, Stateburg
- Ramsey House, Poinsett State Park
- The Ruins, Stateburg, owned by General Thomas Sumter, then by John Mayrant
- San Souci, Stateburg, home of Edward Rutledge, governor
- Woodlawn, Stateburg.
- 1902 Part of Sumter County was used to create Lee County reducing the area to 681 miles...
- 1927 Swan Lake Gardens a Park. The owner began as a private fishing lake in 1927. Swan Lake Iris Gardens is home to 8 species of swans. It has beautiful pavilions, and in season, enjoy what seems like an endless supply of iris blooms. The owner had trouble getting the irises to grow, so gave up and threw them away. Soon there were endless plants and blooms.
|Swan Lake Iris Gardens.|
- 1941, World War II The US government built an Air Force Base named Shaw Air Force Base near Sumter, which today is an active duty fighter base. .The base which is operating today has been a major economic factor since the World War II era. It is home of the Ninth Air Force and the 20th Fighter Wing.
- The county seat of Sumter, SC is complemented by the nearby Sumter County communities of Pinewood, Mayesville, Dalzell, Stateburg, Oswego, Wedgefield, Rembert, Horatio, and Rimini. Primarily once a commercial and agricultural area, 
- Sumter County grows peaches, onions as a staple crop. Due to the excellent fertile soil, long growing season, and temperatures, almost anything will grow. The acreage devoted to onion troops have increased steadily in 4 years. The southeastern part of Sumter County, called Pudding Swamp grows tobacco as the major crop. Tobacco is the supplemental crop in other parts of the county. Some farmers have been growing asparagus for profit. demonstrated that asparagus can be produced at a profit.Sumter County challenges comparison with any other part of the South Atlantic section. Sumter has become known as one of the most economically-balanced areas in the United States. Income is equally distributed between agricultural, industrial, and commercial enterprises. Sumter County, SC
|Opera House, Sumter, SC.|
- Confederate general Richard Heron Anderson (1821-1879) was a Sumter resident, as were opera singer Clara Louise Kellogg (1842-1916) and educator Mary McLeod Bethune (1875-1955).
|Swan Lake Iris Gardens.|
- By James W. Simmons
- a poem about Sumter, courtesy of Sumter, SC History
When Carolina's hope grew pale,
Before the British lion's tread,
And freedom's sigh, in every gale,
Was heard above her martyred dead,
When from her mountain heights, subdued,,
In pride of place forbad to soar,
Her eagle banner, quenched in blood,
Lay sullen on th' indignant shore,
Breathing revenge! invoking doom,
Tyrant! upon thy purple host,
When all stood wrapt in steadfast gloom,,
And silence brooded o'er her coast,
Stealthy, as when from thicket dun,
The Indian springs upon his bow,
Uprose, South-Mount, thy warrior-son,
And headlong darted on the foe!,
Not in the pride of war he came,
With bugle note and banner high,
And nodding plume, and steel of flame,
Red battle's gorgeous blazonry!
With followers few, but undismayed,,
Each change and chance of fate withstood,,
Beneath her sunshine and her shade,
The same heroic brotherhood!
From secret nook, in other land,,
Emerging fleet along the pine,,
Prone down he rush'd before his band,,
Like eagle, on the British line! v
Catawba's waters smiled again,,
To see her Sumter's soul in arms;,
And, issuing from each glade and glen,,
Rekindled by war's fierce alarms,
Thronged hundreds thro' the solitude,
Of the wild forest, to the call,
Of him whose spirit, unsubdued,,
Fresh impulse gave to each, to all!
By day the burning sands they ply,,
Night sees them in the fell ravine;,
Familiar to each follower's eye,,
The tangled brake, the hall of green.
Roused by their tread from covert deep,,
Springs the gaunt wolf, and flies -- while near,
Is heard, forbidding thought of sleep,,
The rattling serpent's sound of fear.
Before, or break of early morn,,
Or fox looks out from copse or close,,
Before the hunter winds his horn,,
Sumter's already on his foes!
He beat them back! beneath the flame,
Of valor quailing, or the shock;,
And carved at length a hero's name,
Upon the glorious Hanging Rock!
And time that shades or sears the wreath,
Where glory binds the soldier's brow,,
Kept bright her Sumter's fame in death,
His hour of proudest triumph -- now.
And ne'er shall tyrant tread the shore
Where Sumter bled, nor bled in vain;
A thousand hearts shall break before
They wear th' oppressor's bonds again.
Oh! never can thy sons forget,
The mighty lessons taught by thee;
Since, -- treasured up the eternal debt, ,
- Their watchword is -- thy memory!
James Wright Simmons, author of above was a founder of the Southern Literary Gazette in 1828. His work was published in America and in Europe. Poet, dramatist, essayist, and reviewer, Simmons had attended Harvard, traveled widely in Europe, and worked for the New York Mirror and the New York Courier before moving to Texas. He became comptroller general of the Republic of Texas and worked on the Banner newspaper in Galveston, Texas.
Sources for this above information Rootsweb History of Sumter, SC are: The History of Sumter County by Anne King Gregorie, Historical Sketches of Sumter County by Cassie Nicholes.
- 1912- Sumter adopted the City Manager-Council type of government, It is one of the first to successfully use this type of government and is still in effect. Sumter, SC became the first US city to successfully adopt the council-manager form of government. It is still in effect today.
|Sumter county Courthouse|
Sumter's council-manager government combines the political leadership of elected officials in the form of a seven-member City Council headed by the Mayor, with the strong managerial experience of an appointed City Manager, who serves as the chief administrative and executive officer of the city. 
- Its county seat is Sumter. The county was created in 1800
- Size - Total area of 682 square miles (1,770 km2), of which 665 square miles (1,720 km2) is land and 17 square miles (44 km2) (2.5%) is water.
- Rivers/Creeks - Sumter is drained by the Black River and its tributaries. Wateree forms the Western border
- Famous area -of South Carolina famous area are the High Hills of Santee comprising the western part of the county.
- Lake - Sumter county is one of five that borders Lake Marion, also known as South Carolina's "Inland Sea."
- Soil - Norfolk sandy loam, Portsmouth sandy loam and Orangeburg clay, constituting 73 % is predominant. Remainder of county - swamp and Congaree first bottom. All are fertile and easy to cultivate
- Crops - cotton, corn, tobacco, small grains, legumes, all varieties of truck for shipment to northern markets and for canning factories that are in successful operation in the county.
- Ease to farm - Fertile soil, easy to cultivate
- Climate - Uniform favorable climate for agriculture,
- Growing season - 230 days the acre and low cost of production on account of the fertility of the soil, ease of cultivation and uniformly favorable climatic conditions throughout the long growing season of 230 days
- Location in the midlands of South Carolina, Sumter County is east of the geographic heart of the state.
- Topography -within the fertile plains of the upper pine belt with its highest crest, located in the western portion of the county known as the High Hills of the Santee, 450 feet above sea level.
- Altitude -- High Hills of the Santee- are 450 feet above Sea Level. Southern part of county - 107 feet above Sea level.
- Boundaries of Sumter- The natural boundaries on the east are Scape 'Ore Creek, Black River, and Lynches River, and on the west are the Wateree and Santee (2 sections of the same river system).
- Drainage of Sumter County - the Lynches River is on the east and Santee-Watere. Black River bisects the county from the north to the south.
- Terrain -the high hills of the Santee stretch across the NW quarter and overlooks the fertile and picturesque valley of the Wateree
- Drainage Sumter is well-watered and drained by the Scape Ore Creek, Black River, Lynches River, Wateree and Santee Rivers.
- Soil - heavy black lands of the alluvial plain, sand hills, and high red hills.
- Altitude - altitude ranges from 107 feet on the southern border to 450 feet on the crest of the high hills. range. Mountains
- Lee County - north
|Sumter county in SC map|
- Florence County - northeast
- Clarendon County - south
- Calhoun County - southwest
- Richland County - west
- Kershaw County - northwest
|Hill Hills of Santee Palmetto Trail.|
In 2010 there were 107,456 people living in the county with a population density of 161.6 people/sq. mi. The racial makeup of the county was 48.2% white, 46.9% black or African American, 1.1% Asian, 0.4% American Indian, 0.1% Pacific islander, 1.4% from other races, and 1.9% from two or more races. Those of Hispanic origin were 3.3%. In terms of ancestry, 7.2% were Subsaharan African, 6.9% were American, 6.1% were English, 5.9% were German, and 5.7% were Irish. In a 2013 census estimate, the population was at 108,123. The median income for a household in the county was $39,137 and the median income for a family was $45,460. The per capita income for the county was $18,944. About 15.5% of families and 19.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.1% of those under age 18 and 14.7% of those age 65 or over. 
- Central Carolina Technical College - Sumter - founded 1963 - two-year college
- University of South Carolina Sumter - Sumter - founded 1966 - two-year college
- Morris College 4 year Private college
- Saint Leo University 4 year
- Webster University- Shaw Air Force Base
- Sumter County comprises the Sumter, South Carolina Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Sumter County is the home of Shaw AFB, headquarters to the 9th Air Force, AFCENT, United States Army Central, with a number of other tenant units. It is one of largest bases in the USAF's Air Combat Command
- Sumter - county seat
Towns/Census Des Places/Uninco Communities
- Cane Savannah
- East Sumter
- South Sumter
|Swan Lake Iris Gardens.|
- Swan Lake Gardens a Park. This began as a private fishing lake in 1927. The owner
1927 as a private fishing lake is home to 8 species of swans. Has beautiful pavilions, and in season, enjoy what seems like an endless supply of iris blooms. The owner had trouble getting the irises to grow, so gave up and threw them away. Soon there were endless plants and blooms
- Address: 822 W Liberty St, Sumter, SC 29150.
- Ray Allen, professional NBA basketball player is from Dalzell.
- Bill Pinkney of The Drifters was born in Dalzell.
- Sloman Moody, born in Horatio.
- Richard H. Anderson, Confederate general, was born at Borough House Plantation.
- J.J. Broughton, Five generations of Broughtons with extensive land holdings dating back to "Kings Grant" of Seven miles of property along the Santee. Farming, cattle, logging and Broughton's Mill at Mill Creek. Plantation house located in Pinewood, SC destroyed by fire of 1937. Broughton Family funded the Baptist church and in the 1920s the Presbytrian Church in Pinewood.
- Mary Boykin Chesnut, author of A Diary from Dixie, was born in Stateburg, daughter of Stephen Decatur Miller and his wife, Mary Boykin.
- Richard Furman, pioneering Baptist minister, first pastor of High Hills of the Santee Baptist Church. Furman University is named for him.
- John L. Manning, original owner of Millford Plantation and governor of South Carolina.
- Richard Irvine Manning III, (1859–1931), Governor of South Carolina.
- Wyndham Meredith Manning, (1890–1967), South Carolina politician and son of Richard Irvine Manning III, born in Wedgefield.
- Stephen Decatur Miller, owner of the plantation, Miller House, later known as Ellison House; South Carolina governor, congressman and U.S. senator.
- Thomas Sumter, early settler and general in the Revolution.
- Angelica Singleton Van Buren, First Lady of the United States.
- Clara Louise Kellogg (1842-1916), opera singer was resident
- Mary McLeod Bethune (1875-1955), educator was resident
- 1800 --- 3,571 —
- 1810 --- 19,054 433.6%
- 1820 --- 25,269 32.6%
- 1830 --- 28,277 11.9%
- 1840 --- 27,892 −1.4%
- 1850 --- 33,220 19.1%
- 1860 --- 23,859 −28.2%
- 1870 --- 25,268 5.9%
- 1880 --- 37,037 46.6%
- 1890 --- 43,605 17.7%
- 1900 --- 51,237 17.5%
- 1910 --- 38,472 −24.9%
- 1920 --- 43,040 11.9%
- 1930 --- 45,902 6.6%
- 1940 --- 52,463 14.3%
- 1950 --- 57,634 9.9%
- 1960 --- 74,941 30.0%
- 1970 --- 79,425 6.0%
- 1980 --- 88,243 11.1%
- 1990 --- 102,637 16.3%
- 2000 --- 104,646 2.0%
- 2010 --- 107,456 2.7%
- Est. 2016 --- 107,396
- FindaGrave cemeteries, Sumter County
- Genealogy Trails Sumter County Cemeteries
- Rootsweb Sumter Co., SC cemeteries
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 http://www.sumtersc.gov/history
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 2.22 2.23 2.24 2.25 2.26 2.27 2.28 2.29 2.30 2.31 2.32 http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/sumter_county_sc.html
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~scsumter/history.html
- ↑ https://training.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Sumter_County,_South_Carolina_Genealogy
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Hills_of_Santee#Notable_residents
- ↑ http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~scsumter/history.html
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumter_County,_South_Carolina
- Camden-Charleston Path
- Images of Sumter County, SC
- Sources for Rootsweb History of Sumter, SC are: The History of Sumter County by Anne King Gregorie, Historical Sketches of Sumter County by Cassie Nicholes.
- FindaGrave cemeteries, Sumter County
- Genealogy Trails Sumter County Cemeteries
- Rootsweb Sumter Co., SC cemeteries
- Sumter, SC History
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Mary Richardson and Paula J. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)