Location: Surrey, England
Surnames/tags: England United Kingdom Surrey
Surrey is a county in the South East of England and one of the home counties. The county borders Kent, East Sussex, West Sussex, Hampshire, and Berkshire, and its historic county town is Guildford. Surrey County Council sits extraterritorially at Kingston upon Thames, part of Greater London since 1965.
The Anglo-Saxon period saw the emergence of the shire's internal division into 14 hundreds, which continued until Victorian times. These were the hundreds of Blackheath, Copthorne, Effingham Half-Hundred, Elmbridge, Farnham, Godalming, Godley, Kingston, Reigate, Tandridge, Wallington, Woking and Wotton.
The London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark, Wandsworth, and parts of Lewisham (Hatcham) and Bromley (Penge) were in Surrey until 1889, and Croydon,Kingston upon Thames, Merton, Sutton, and Richmond upon Thames south of the River Thames, in Greater London, were part of Surrey until 1965 at which point the county gained its first area north of the Thames, Spelthorne, from defunct Middlesex.
Today's Surrey is divided into 11 districts (ten of which are boroughs): Elmbridge, Epsom and Ewell, Guildford, Mole Valley, Reigate and Banstead, Runnymede, Spelthorne, Surrey Heath, Tandridge, Waverley and Woking. Services such as roads, mineral extraction licensing, education, strategic waste and recycling infrastructure, births marriages and deaths registration, aspects of health services and most social and children's services are within the remit of Surrey County Council.
Show on Google Maps
- Vision of Britain entry: Surrey, England
- British History Online search results for Surrey, England
- Wikipedia entry: Surrey, England
- Wikiwand enrty: Surrey, England
- Exploring Surrey's Past homepage
- Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England for Surrey, England
- FamilySearch Wiki entry: Surrey Geneology
- FamilySearch index of Online Records for Surrey, England
- UK Genealogy Archive (UKGA) enrtry: Surrey, England
- Registration Districts in Surrey: Surrey, England
- Surrey County Council Family Records.
- Surrey History Centre. Collects and rescues archives and printed materials relating to Surrey's past.
- GENUKI entry; Surrey, England
- British History Online catalogue for the south-east
- Surrey Cemetery Records Free cemetery records
- Exploring Surrey's Past - the free searchable indexes are a good place to start if you’re trying to find a Surrey ancestor.
- RootsChat Forum entries for Surrey, England
- The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex is maintained by volunteers and contains the records of the Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex that are more than 70 years old and in the public domain. It was launched in May 2003 and is continually being updated with more information about the Weald as it becomes available from transcriptions of Census data, Parish records, Pictures, Photographs, Maps, Books and many other documents.
- West Surrey Family History Society website.
- East Surrey Family History Society website.
- Gravestone Photographic Resource grave monument locations for Surrey
- Surrey Plus Wills Index on Rootsweb
- Protestation Returns for the Surrey Hundreds of Reigate and Tandridge here
WikiTree FreeSpace Resources
- Visitation(s) of England and Wales County Index entries for persons whose pedigree first entry in the Visitation(s) commences in Surrey, or who appears listed in a pedigree, addendum or correction to the Visitation(s) as born in Surrey.
- The Publications of The Surrey Parish Register Society (London, 1903-1913)
- The Natural History and Antiquities of the County of Surrey (E. Curll, London, 1718-1719)
- Surrey Record Society (Roworth & Co. Ltd., London, 1916-)
- County Genealogies, Pedigrees of Surrey Families (Sherwood, Gilbert, and Piper, London, 1837)
- Brownes of Bechworth Castle (1903)
- The Records of Merton Priory in the County of Surrey (H. Frowde, London, 1898)
- Surrey Archaeological Collections (Surrey Archaeological Society, 1858-)
- Quakers in Surrey
If you would like further help why not post a question on G2G Q&A
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: England Project WikiTree and Wendy Sullivan. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)