Surry Maine

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: 21 Jun 1803 [unknown]
Location: Surry, Hancock, Maine, United Statesmap
Surnames/tags: One_Place_Studies Maine Hancock_County_Maine
This page has been accessed 94 times.
This profile is part of the Surry, Maine One Place Study.

Parent Page: Hancock County Maine

Surry is a town in Hancock County, incorporated in 1803 from the township T6 EPR & Suttons Island (1830)
Click here for Surry, Maine Category

Important Dates
September 18, 1759 Quebec surrenders to the British,
      Newly acquired land would be added to Lincoln County
1762 Several Land Grants were made from the Livermore Survey including:
      Township No. 6 East of The Penobscot River, Livermore Survey
June 25, 1789 Hancock County was formed from a portion of Lincoln County
June 21, 1803 incorporated as Surry from Township No. 6 EPR
March 3, 1809 part of Surry was set off to Ellsworth
March 15, 1820 Maine became the nation's 23rd state
1821 The part set off to Ellsworth was returned


Villages, Locations and Settlements

Villages, Locations
and Settlements
East Surry
West Surry
South Surry

Historical Names

Pioneer Settlers

Pioneer Settler Arrival Year
James Flye
John Patten (1763-1843)
Mr, Hopkinson
Andrew Flood (1726-abt.1791)
Wilbraham Wentworth Swett (1775-1842)
Matthew Ray (1758-1843)
James Ray
Samuel Joy (1771-1855)
Isaac Lord (1751-1837)
Hezekiah Coggins (abt.1756-1806)
Leonard Jarvis (1742-1813)



Wasson's A survey of Hancock County, Maine:
      Surry.— Incorporated (14-147 town) June 21, 1803. Population, 1,242. Decennary loss, 77. Wealth, per capita,$172. State valuation, $209,137. U. S. valuation, $271,157. Named by the Jarvis proprietors, for Surrey, England. This was Township No. 6, in the grant to Marsh. First occupied by French at Newbury Neck. The first English settlers were Symonds, Weymouth, and James Flye. Symouds "squat" upon the farm now owned by Samuel Wasson, and Weymouth upon the Point which bears his name, a part of the old Joy farm, now in possession of G. W. Hutchings. The next settlers were John Patten, Hopkinson, and Andrew Flood, Wilbraham Swett, Matthey Ray, Samuel Joy, Isaac Lord, Hezekiah Coggins, and Leonard Jarvis. Mr. Jarvis was a Representative in Congress from 1831 to 1837. While in Congress, he proposed to vindicate his honor, by fighting a duel with F. O. J. Smith.
      Up to the year 1820, about 13,000 acres had been alienated, and were held under grants to settlers and " quiet possession" titles. The quantity of land remaining, was purchased by the Jarvis'. In 1840, "the Jarvis farm" was the best cultivated and the most productive farm in the county. Dry rot is its only product now. In 1800, Surry included that portion of Ellsworth known as ward 5. In 1829, it was re-annexed to Ellsworth. In this matter, the agent for Surry has been charged with consummate perfidy. In 1790, it had a population of 239. In 1874, a small quantity of silver coin was found at Weymouth Point.

Varney's Gazetteer of the state of Maine has the following:
      Surry is situated on the west bank of Union River bay, in Hancock County. On the north-east it is bounded by Ellsworth, on the south-west, by Blue Hill, on the west, by Orland and Penobscot. The town has an area of about 21,025 acres. Toddy Pond forms part of the boundary between Surry and Penobscot, and on the line between Surry and Ellsworth are the two Patten ponds whose outlet is Patten Stream Fishways were constructed to these ponds in 1872, and the ponds have since been stocked with alewives and salmon. The surface of the town is considerably broken. The land generally is valuable for tillage. The most of the surface soil is so intermingled with comminuted quartz, or siliceous sand, that cranberries grow in the grass fields. The cultivation of this crop is receiving increased attention. A large deposit of nearly pure silica in the town may prove of much value for glass and other ware. Over miles of surface on the Toddy Pond road lay, a few years ago, a bleak profusion of granite bowlders. To-day those bowlders are seen in every stage of ruin. On every hand they are smitten with decay, and here and there a patch of unworn gravel is all that remains of a'once great bowlder. A few miles beyond these, is a field of immense bowlders, still uncrumbled, lying in wild confusion bowlder on bowlder,—
" The fragments of an earlier world."
      The manufactories of Surry are a lumber, shingle, spool and two stave mills. Formerly there was a large business done in building small vessels, but it is now very much reduced. Surry has two mining companies, the Blue Hill Bay and the East Surry Company.
      Surry was Township No. 6, in the grant to Marsh and others. It was first occupied by the French at Newbury Neck. The first English settlers were Symonds, Weymouth and James Flye. The next settlers were John Patten, a Mr. Hopkinson, Andrew Flood, Wilbrahim Swett, Matthew and James Ray, Samuel Joy, Isaac Lord, Hezekiah Coggins and Leonard Jarvis. Mr. Jarvis represented the eastern district in Congress from 1831 to 1837.
      Up to 1820, about 13,000 acres had been secured to settlers and "by quiet possession titles, when Mr. Jarvis bought the remainder. In 1800, Surry included that portion of Ellsworth known as Ward 5 ; but in 1829 it was re-annexed to Ellsworth. There was a population of 239 as early as 1790. In 1874, a small quantity of silver coin was found at Weymouth Point. Surry furnished 135 men to the Union cause in the war of the Rebellion.
      The Baptist, Free Baptist and Methodist denominations have churches in town. There are nine public schoolhouses, and the school property is valued at $3,400. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $209,137. In 1880 it was 8177,534. The population in 1870 was 1,242. In 1880 it was 1,185.


Also See:


Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.