Surnames/tags: Swedish_Parishes Sweden Category
The parishes of Sweden are a basic geographic unit for genealogy in Sweden for the reason that the church had the chief responsibility for monitoring and recording the Swedish population for such a long time. Church records (birth, marriage, death and extensive household records) are archived by parish in the National Archives of Sweden. The parishes were also the basic unit for secular administration up to 1863.
Categorizing Swedish WikiTree profiles by parish facilitates finding those relationships "just one step away" between branches in Swedish family trees.
The list of Parishes in Sweden produced by the SPC project is fairly complete as of October 2017 (apart from "subparishes" split off during the 20th century, that do not have a great volume of digitized archives).
- Please be welcome to put parish categories on any Swedish profile where locations are known. The more profiles in a parish category, the more useful it will be.
- Check the long list of parishes in Sweden or the sorted lists of parishes by county.
- If you need to create a new parish category, use the standard form Category:Socken (länsbokstav) for example Category: Essinge (AB) or Category: Kolsva (U)
- If you need new subcategories, use the standard form Category: Byanamn, Socken (länsbokstav) - using a comma after the name of the village or farm and always including the parish name. For example: Category: Bergvattnet, Björksele (AC) or Category:Finnsved, Gillhov (Z)
The Swedish Parish Category Project is a subproject of Project Sweden, so if you wish to join, that is the project to join. If you do not wish to join immediately but have questions:
- Eva - Leader from 2017
- Maggie - task force removing transcluded headers Feb 2018
- Maria - task force removing transcluded headers Feb 2018
- Lena - Halland, Norra (northern) Östergötland, Gotland, Kronobergs län, Södre (southern) Södermanland (active up to 2017)
- Magnus - Västmanland, Gävleborg and tools (active up to 2017)
- Peter - Jönköpings län, Småland. (Active in 2016)
- Kenneth - (Active in 2016)
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Lena Svensson and Peter Jonsheim. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 31 Jan 2016 at 01:35 GMT Maryann (Thompson) Hurt wrote:
Re point 6 in Open questions: The example of Torup, Halland, given in this question is a Wikipedia article. A Wikipedia article is the equivalent of a WikiTree profile. #REDIRECT is used with Wikipedia articles and with WikiTree profiles.
Wikipedia doesn't use #REDIRECT with categories. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Categories_for_discussion#Redirecting_categories.
On 19 Jan 2016 at 02:20 GMT Abby (Brown) Glann wrote: