Location: Glendarroch, Scotland
Take the High Road Characters Wikipedia
Take the High Road (renamed High Road from 1994 to 2003) was a Scottish soap opera which ran for 23 years. It was produced by Scottish Television. It was set in the fictional village of Glendarroch, and exteriors were filmed in the real-life village of Luss on the banks of Loch Lomond. Also features the fictional town of Auchtarne, across Loch Darroch and Ardvaine crofts part of Glendarroch estate.
Main Cast :-
- Eileen McCallum MBE - Isabel Blair - Shopkeeper in Glendarroch - 389 episodes, 1980-2003
- Kenneth Murray Watson (1931-1998) - Brian Blair - husband of Isabel - Various jobs ferryman, peat cutter, sawmill - 61 episodes, 1980-1990
- Mike Hayward - Alun Morgan
- Jimmy Chisholm - Jimmy Blair - son of Isabel and Brian - ferryman and aquasports - 20 episodes, 1980-1984
- Derek Anders - David Blair - brother of Brian Blair - 13 episodes, 1980-1981
- Alexander Monteath (1941-2021) - Dougal Lachlan - 155 episodes, 1980-1991
- Janette Banks Conkie (1937-2022) (Ginni Barlow) - Gladys Aitken/Gladys Lachlan - wife of Dougal Lachlan
- Marjorie Jessica Sutherland (Thomson) Hunter (1913-2012) - Grace Lachlan - Mother of Dougal - crofter in Ardvaine - 113 episodes, 1980-1993
- John Macdonald (Steele) Stahl (1953-2022) - Tom 'Inverdarroch' Kerr - farmer Inverdarroch Farm - 114 episodes, 1987-2003
- Edith "Jeannie" Fisher - Morag Stewart - crofter in Ardvaine - 103 episodes, 1981-2003
- James Gordon Copeland (1918-2002) - Jamie Stewart - crofter in Ardvaine and father of Morag.
- Muriel Romanes - Alice Taylor - Wife of Bob Taylor and sister in law of Dougal Lachlan - episodes, 1980-1989
- Iain Agnew - Bob Taylor - gamekeeper and water balliff of Glendarroch estate - 47 episodes, 1980-1990
- Thelma Rogers (1924-2000) Lily Taylor - sister in law of Bob Taylor - and love interest of Inverdarroch.
- Edith (MacArthur) Macarthur MBE (1926-2018) - Elizabeth Cunningham - The lady laird of Glendarroch Estate and mother of Fiona Cunningham - 21 episodes, 1980-1982
- Caroline Ashley - Fiona Cunningham - daughter of Elizabeth and inherits Glendarroch Estate. Runs and owns Ardnacraig Hotel - 136 episodes, 1980-1993
- Donald Douglas - Peter Cunningham - ex-husband of Elizabeth and father of Fiona - 6 episodes, 1980-1987
- Alan Hunter - Greg Ryder - Busnessman - married to Fiona Cunningham.
- Charles Reginald Wingate Jamieson - Ruari Galbraith - father of Fiona Cunningham's son David.
- George Stewart Auchinleck (1932-1990) know professionally as Paul Kermack - Archie Menzies - Family retainer and odd job man on the estate - 90 episodes, 1980-1990
- Mary Patton Riggans (1935-2013) - Effie McInnes - housekeeper on the estate - 79 episodes, 1983-1995
- Joan Alcorn - Lorna Seton - estate secretary - 62 episodes, 1980-1990
- Bill Henderson (1938-1989) - Ken Calder - garage owner, mechanic for the estate - 18 episodes, 1980-1984
- Ron Paterson - Sorry Watson - entrepreneur and husband of Maggie. 8 episodes, 1981-1987
- Camilla Irene Sunters (1928-2005) - Maggie Ferguson/Watson - Drove local bus and knew everyone's business ! Married Sorry Watson - 20 episodes, 1980-1987
- Gwyneth (Guthrie) Borland (1937 - 2021) - Mrs. Mary Mack ( and her sister Florence ) - Minister's housekeeper and local busy body ! - Alter ego when she played her delightful sister Florence - 132 episodes, 1983-2003
- Robert Kempton Trotter (1930-2013) - Obadiah Arthur Murdoch - Church session clerk and dog breeder. He was best friend of Mrs Mack - 77 episodes, 1983-1992
- John Young (1916-1996) - Reverend Ian McPherson - 52 episodes, 1983-1991
- Ian Stewart - Jock Campbell - Pensioner from Glendarroch. 2 episodes, 1984-1989
- Robin Cameron - Eddie Ramsay - Son of local farmer - reformed thief. Ferryman after Jimmy Blair left. - 28 episodes, 1992-1995
- Lesley Fitz-Simons (1961-2013) - Sheila Ramsay - wife of Eddie - 128 episodes, 1987-2003
- Teri (Lally) Ferguson - Carol McKay - best friend of Sheila Ramsay - 113 episodes, 1987-1994
- Michael Aiken Elder (1931-2004) - Dr. Alexander Wallace - 24 episodes, 1980-1993
- Ian Bryce Wallace OBE (1919-2009) - Robert Forsyth - the local vet - 3 episodes, 1984-1987
- Leon Fuller Sinden (1927-2015) - George Carradine - solicitor for the estate - 17 episodes, 1987-1994
- James Copeland MBE aka- James Cosmo - Alex Geddes - rented home farm
- Derek Lord - Davie Sneddon - estate manager for Letterfalloch and Glendarroch - 95 episodes, 1987-2003
- Michael Neville Browning (1930-2002) - Sir John Ross-Gifford
- Jan Waters - Lady Margaret Ross-Gifford
- Richard Greenwood = their son Eric Ross-Gifford
- Tamara Kennedy - His fiancée then wife Joanna Simpson/Ross-Gifford
- Madeleine Elsie Jane Christie (1904-1996) - Lady William (Bill) Ross-Gifford - mother of Sir John Ross-Gifford who she calls BoBo.
Other Cast members:-
- Frank Wylie (1935-1994) Fergus Jamieson the Postman
- Lawrie McNicol - Harry Shaw - 8 episodes, 1988-1989
- Judy Sweeney - Sally Shaw
- Alexander Morton - Andy Semple15 episodes, 1980-1991
- Paul Young - Reverend Gerald Parker13 episodes, 1987-1990
- Johanna Hargreaves - Sandra Blair5 episodes, 1990
- Alan Cumming OBE - Jim Hunter - 4 episodes, 1988
- Andy Cameron - Chic Cherry - 3 episodes, 1995-2003
- Bridget Biagi ... Helen Blair2 episodes, 1981-1990
- Clive Graham ... Douglas Dunbar2 episodes, 1981-1982
- Ian McCulloch ... Derek Conway1 episode, 1983
- Gary Hollywood ... Dominic (?-2000)unknown episodes
- Charles Thomas McKinnon Murray (1919-1985) - Sojer
- Briony McRoberts (1957-2013) - Sam Hagan
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTGcveqsgik Take the highlights - actors look back at the series at the time of the 1000th episode.
This is the first episode of High Road after it was renamed from 'Take The High Road. From the Scottish Television transmission from Friday 22nd July 1994
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)