Location: Napier, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
Surnames/tags: Cemeteries New_Zealand
Taradale Cemetery - Te urupā o Taradale
The cemetery was consecrated on 30 May, 1877 on land donated by local landowner Henry Stokes Tiffen to the Anglican Church in Taradale. As was usual at the time, the layout provides separate Anglican, Roman Catholic and Presbyterian areas.
The Presbyterian Church bought further land for burial purposes in 1926. Taradale Borough Council took over the responsibility for managing the cemetery in 1943.
The Returned Services Cemetery for Napier and Taradale is on the upper slope. The handsome black granite Lone Pine Memorial was dedicated in 1999 as a tribute to the servicemen and women interred in the cemetery. On the slope above the memorial is a representative Aleppo Pine, grown from seed descended from Gallipoli's famed Lone Pine.
The Raraunga urupā project is a long term project to digitise the interments. Unfortunately, no Council records exist for the years 1857-1895 as this information was destroyed in the 1931 earthquake. It is estimated that there are 4000 records for Taradale Cemetery. All the available information recorded in original cemetery registers is held in Council computer files. The Napier City Council has a record of headstone information, including inscriptions, and a file listing names of some early arrivals in the Napier area, as recorded in newspapers of the period.
- 121 Puketapu Road
- Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
The cemetery has a link with the Marist Fathers and Brothers, whose seminary was about 1.5 kilometres to the north at Greenmeadows. There is a group of priests and brothers' graves, each topped with a plain cross. Lower on the slope is a tall memorial to Father R P E Reignier S M, founder of many Catholic parish churches in Hawke's Bay.
The map below shows how each area is split into sections for ease of finding a particular grave.