Surnames/tags: challenge virginia
Welcome to the Team Virginia scheduling page for the 2021 WikiTree challenge. The challenge will be active for the year of 2021. Two weeks (Thanksgiving and Christmas) will be skipped leaving fifty possible weeks of participation. Team Virginia will be signing up for at least five of those weeks. You are welcome to participate in weeks that our team isn't. Below are the months we are participating in. Please visit the sign-up post linked below to register.
Team Captains: Looking for ideas for your own team page? Check out the template for this challenge that you can copy and then adjust it as you need to!
How to Participate
- Registration will be monthly. The registration post will be for the following month. Please sign up as early as possible so that WikiTree can successfully coordinate teams and award points. Badges will be awarded for the month that you participate.
- Everyone that participates during a certain week will be working on the family of a pre-determined person. This influencer in the genealogy community will be announced with the registration post. WikiTree will have a new person each week to focus on, with the exception of the two weeks off near the end of the year.
- The Captain of your team will lead the collaboration throughout the week. They will answer any questions you have about which profiles to work on, and offer suggestions on directions to take with your research. There will be a G2G thread for that week that you can bookmark so that you can remark on your progress, or ask questions.
- Registered team members will have their point totals tracked and reported automatically. To get the special bounty points you need to list your findings in the G2G thread. Please see the Basic Scoring for information on how you can earn points.
WikiTree Challenge Links
- Week 1 (Jan 6-13) Guest Star: AJ Jacobs
- Sign-up Post
- Please look at the Challenge Team Coordination sheet for the available family lines. You can put an X where your name intercepts the ancestral line you want to work on. Once the even starts you can change the X to the Wiki-ID of the ancestor you are working on.
- Unlike our regular "Thons," we are expected to do some prep for the event. Please look at the ancestral line you have chosen and see who you might want to work on. Look at the locations and see if you will need research assistance from other WikiTreers. For AJ Jacobs there are ancestors in Russia, Poland, and the Ukraine. You can reach out ahead of time for research tips from Projects and their members.
- Austrian Poland (Galicia), Austro-Hungarian Empire Genealogy FamilySearch list
- Don't forget to use the G2G for translation help or record location
- Poland Online Genealogy Records FamilySearch list
- Russia Online Genealogy Records FamilySearch list
- Ukraine Online Genealogy Records FamilySearch list
Questions & Answers
- This section is for questions that have arisen during participation weeks. Please let me know if you have a question that you would like answered on this page.
- Q: If I'm on Team Virginia, can I participate during weeks that they aren't? If so, does Team Virginia get credit?
- A: You can participate during any (or all!) of the weeks for this year. If Team Virginia is the "captain" that week, they will get team points. If you participate during other weeks, the team points will go to that weeks captain. Either way you will earn points or bounty bonuses for yourself.
- Q: (question)
- A: (answer)
Team Member Experience
- I would love to get feedback on how you felt the discovery went during your participation week. Did you find new information? Were you uncomfortable with the location? Did you find a partner to work with? How successful do you think your week went? Let me know what you think and I'll add it below. Thanks for participating!
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Christine Daniels, Jelena Eckstädt, N Gauthier, Loretta Corbin, Cheryl Hess, Ellen Smith, Jennifer Robins, Lucy Selvaggio-Diaz, Bob Keniston, Gurney Thompson, Richard Devlin, Azure Robinson, Carol Keeling, Emily Holmberg, Staci Golladay, Paula Franklin, Mindy Silva, Susan McNamee, Morgan Mulligan, Lisa Linn, Dean Anderson, Jayme Arrington, Sondra Marshall, William Foster, Rosalie Neve, Mike Travis, Andy Lear, Anonymous Martin, and Kathryn Banks. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)