This is a proposed re-work of Parnell (Gray) Nowell (1603 - 1687), modeling preferred way of organizing a bio and citing sources
||... ... ... migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).|
Join: Puritan Great Migration Project
Parnell Gray was born in 1603 in Harwich, Essex, England, daughter of Thomas Gray and Katherine Myles. 
Parnell was mentioned in her father's will which was proved June 29, 1607. She was about four. She was to receive 100 pounds when she turned 18.
Marriages and Children
As "Paranell Graye of this Hamlet singlewoman," she married first the widower William Parkar of St. Peters Cornhill London on 5 Aug 1622 at St. John Wapping, recorded in Whitechapel. William Parker of London, merchant, made his will 19 Sep 1625. It was proved 7 Nov 1625 by "Parnelle Parker rel[i]c[t]e" They had :
- Sarah Parker, b. say 1623; d. probably by 21 Oct 1674 (husband's will); m. 1642 or 1643 probably in Charlestown, Massachusetts Hugh Williams.
Purnell married second Increase Nowell on July 08, 1628 at Holy Trinity Minories, London (a parish immediately west of Whitechapel). Increase was baptised in Sheldon, Warwickshire on August 19, 1593, son of Alexander. He died 1 November 1655 at age 62 in Charlestown, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. Together they had 9 children:
- Mary Nowell
- Mehitabel Nowell
- Samuel Nowell
- Joseph Nowell
- Increase Nowell
- Abigail Nowell
- Eleazer Nowell
- Increase Nowell
- Alexander Nowell
- Note: Nichols lists only eight children and WikiTree has profiles for ten children. As seen in the timeline which follows, only Parnell's first two children were born in England and the other eight were born in Massachusetts Bay after the family immigrated in 1630.
Parnell died on March 25, 1687 in Charlestown, Middlesex, Massachusetts. There is no burial information on her FindAGrave memorial.
Unless otherwise cited, information in this timeline is derived from NEHGR Vol. 170: [Note from Jillaine: ideally each of these is cited more specifically than the NEHGR volume.]
- 1602: Baptism at Sutton on June 30th.
- 1622 (date added from below): 1st marriage to William Parker on August 5th.
- 1623-1625: (dates estimated) birth of one PARKER child.
- 1628: (Date estimated) Death of 1st husband was before July 8th.
- 1628: 2nd marriage to Increase Nowell on July 8th.
- 1629: (dates estimated) birth of one NOWELL child.
- 1630: immigrated with Winthrop Fleet.
- 1630-1645: (dates estimated) birth of eight NOWELL children.
- 1655: 2nd husband died at Charleston on November 1st.
- 1687: Died at Charleston, Massachusetts on March 25th.
- This profile has not yet been checked with Jerry's Notes and is included in Category: Cox-5399 jcoxffGED until it has been checked.
- ↑ Elaine C. Nichols, "Genealogical Notes: Myles of Sutton, Suffolk," Register 138 (1984):39-41, at 41. Katherine (Myles) Gray married second Rowland Coytmore (who died in 1626), and she immigrated to New England in 1636. Link for subscribers: "Child vi. Parnel of Thomas and Katherine Gray. NOTE: includes a few lines of data which covers Parnel's life from her baptism to death.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 R.A. West, "Two Winthrop Fleet Immigrants to New England: Thomas1 Beecher and Parnell (Gray) (Parker) Nowell, Wife of Increase1 Nowell, Both of Charleston, Massachusetts," in The New England Historical & Genealogical Register; Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, Vol. 170 (Fall 2016), Pages 336-8: Genealogical Summary: Parnell (Gray) (Parker) Nowell; link for subscribers. NOTE: This article states that all uncited information in the article comes from Anderson, The Winthrop Fleet, 499-504.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 William S. Appleton, "Gray and Coytemore," in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Boston, MA: NEHGS; Volume 34 (1880), pp. 253. Available through Google Books.
- ↑ H.F. Waters, "Genealogical Gleanings in England," Boston, MA: NEHGS (1901); Vol 1, pp. 404. Google Books: Thomas Gray of the Borough.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Thomas Bellows Wyman, The Genealogies and Estates of Charlestown, Boston: D. Clapp (1879)Page 434: mentions Parnell married Increase Nowell.
- ↑ Church of England Parish Registers, 1538-1812. London, England: London Metropolitan Archives. Images produced by permission of the City of London Corporation. Reference Number: P69/TRI2/A/001/MS09238; link (Ancestry.com)
- ↑ Massachusetts: Vital Records, 1620-1850 (Online Database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2001-2016). Charlestown Vital Records, Volume 1, page 136: "Mrs. Parnell Nowell, widow, 84, d. Mar. 25, 1687" link for subscribers
- ↑ Find A Grave, database and images: accessed 31 January 2020; memorial page for Parnell Gray Parker Nowell (30 Jun 1602–25 Mar 1687), Find A Grave: Memorial #35449706; Maintained by Linda Mac (contributor 47062703) Unknown. no marker; short bio and family links.
- Gray-6148 was created by Jerry Cox through the import of jcoxff.ged on Oct 15, 2013. NOTE: Imported GEDCOM includes Jerry's notes containing parts of his years of family history research.
- NOTE from Jillaine: I'm not sure we need to include the reference to Jerry's notes unless there is something specific that Jerry included that is not already referenced here. I.e., if there is something from Jerry's Notes that adds value, great; otherwise, the specific citations found by others may suffice. What we COULD say, if you want to honor Jerry's research, is that the research on this profile builds upon research initially conducted by Jerry Cox...
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)