Surnames/tags: england norfolk
Terrington St. Clement is a village on and near the Cross Keys, 4 miles west of King's Lynn by ferry and 6 miles by bridge. The boundaries stretch across 7,760 acres of alluvial land, much of which lies to the north and west in salt marshes, and borders the Wash. Several hundred acres of land was reclaimed in 1773-4 by Count Bentinck.
The settlement existed as a manor during the Saxon era when Godric gifted lands of Turrintonea to the Abbey of Ramsey in AD 970. In the Domesday Book (1086), the village was referred to as Tilinghetuna. The name Terrington originates from the early Saxon "Tun" meaning enclosure or homestead of Tir(a)s people. It is believed that an early Saxon settlement began in present day Hay Green before moving to the Popes Lane area and finally forming in the area around the Church at the core of today's village.
An allotment system, i.e. program allotting land over to laboring poor for food provision, was established in 1816 when one of the principal landowners let 22 acres to the overseers, to be by them re-let at moderate rents in lots ranging from 2 to 4 roods (a rood is a quarter of an acre). The success of the program prompted an additional of allotment of 22 acres a few years later.
Places Located in Terrington St. Clement
Based on the 1841 Census (some place names illegible)
- Balsam Field
- Betinck Farm
- Bunall Farm
- Church Field
- Common Marsh
- Dolebeck Farm
- East Field
- Goshold Field
- Jankin Field
- Little London
- Lovell's Cottage
- Marsh Field
- New Marsh
- Old Marsh
- Perkin Field
- Roman Bank
- Scanewland Field
- Sluce Farm
- Southcroft Field
- West Field
1801 - 824
1836 - 1,466
1845 - 1,675
Parish records for Terrington St. Clement do not appear in the following Bishop's Transcripts:
- FamilySearch DGS# 4143482, Film# 1526687, Parishes H-Y 1862 A-Y 1863 A-F 1864, Norwich Archdeaconry, Bishop's Transcripts, Item 5, 1863: R-Y. The transcripts skip from Tasburgh Parish to Thornham Parish.
- FamilySearch DGS# 4143460, Film# 1526609, Parishes N-W 1863 A-W 1864 A-M 1865, Norwich Archdeaconry, Bishop's Transcripts, Item 51, 1863: N-W. The transcripts skip from Taverhan Parish to Thornage Parish.
- Borough Council of King's Lynn * West Norfolk (1980) Terrington St Clement Conservation Area Character Statement, November 1980, revised August 2009, accessed online at file:///Users/wamiller/Downloads/Terrington_St_Clement_conservation_area_leaflet.pdf on 01 July 2019.
- White, William (1836) History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk, and the City and county of the City of Norwich, pp. 473, published by Robert Leader, Independent Office, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, 1836, accessed online at Google Books on 01 July 2019.
- White, William (1845) History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk, and the City and county of the City of Norwich, pp. 571, published by Robert Leader, Independent Office, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, 1845, accessed online at Google Books on 01 July 2019.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)