The Canadian Grenadier Guards (CGG) is a reserve infantry regiment in the 34 Canadian Brigade Group, 2nd Canadian Division of the Canadian Army. The regiment is the second most senior and oldest infantry regiment in the Primary Reserve of the Canadian Army. Located in Montreal, its primary role is the provision of combat-ready troops in support of Canadian regular infantry. However, as it is also a Household and Ceremonial Guard regiment, it performs similar ceremonial duties to the Guards regiments of the British Army, which primarily entails mounting the guard on Parliament Hill and at Rideau Hall in Ottawa, a task it shares with Canada's other Household infantry regiment, the Governor General's Foot Guards. The Canadian Grenadier Guards is an allied regiment to the British Grenadier Guards.
Lineage The Canadian Grenadier Guards originated in Montreal, Quebec on 17 November 1859 as the First Battalion Volunteer Militia Rifles of Canada. It was redesignated as The First (or Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Volunteer Rifles of Canadian Militia on 7 September 1860. On 2 May 1898 it amalgamated with the 6th Battalion "Fusiliers" and was redesignated the 1st Battalion "Prince of Wales' Regiment Fusiliers". It was redesignated as the 1st Regiment "Prince of Wales' Fusiliers" on 8 May 1900; as the 1st Regiment Canadian Grenadier Guards on 29 December 1911; as The Canadian Grenadier Guards on 29 March 1920; as the 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Canadian Grenadier Guards on 7 November 1941; as The Canadian Grenadier Guards on 15 February 1946; as The Canadian Grenadier Guards (6th Battalion, The Canadian Guards) on 1 September 1954 before reverting to The Canadian Grenadier Guards on 1 August 1976.
The 6th Battalion "Fusiliers" originated in Montreal, Quebec on 31 January 1862 as the 6th Battalion Volunteer Militia Rifles, Canada. It was redesignated as the Sixth Battalion Volunteer Militia, Canada, or "Hochelaga Light Infantry" on 5 June 1863; as the 6th Battalion "Hochelaga Fusiliers" on 3 December 1875; and finally as the 6th Battalion "Fusiliers" on 28 January 1876 On 2 May 1898, it amalgamated with The First (or Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Volunteer Rifles of Canadian Militia.
The War of 1812
- 1st Militia Light Infantry Battalion
- 2nd Battalion, Select Embodied Militia
- Corps of Canadian Voyageurs
- Montreal Incorporated Volunteers
- Montreal Militia Battalion
- Provincial Commissariat Voyageurs
- 1st Battalion (City of Montreal) "British Militia"
The Great War
- 87th Battalion (Canadian Grenadier Guards), CEF
- 245th Battalion (Canadian Grenadier Guards), CEF
- Wikipedia - The Canadian Grenadier Guards
- The Canadian Grenadier Guards
- Archive.org - Photographic Record and Souvenir of the Canadian Grenadier Guards Overseas Battalion "Eighty Seventh"
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)