upload image

The Cape Ann Company

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: 1650 to 1651
Location: New London, Connecticutmap
Profile manager: Chase Ashley private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 518 times.


For profiles, see the category for the Cape Ann Company

The Cape Ann Company

In late 1650 and 1651, Rev. Richard Blinman and a group of others moved to New London in the Connecticut Colony. Since they were mostly from Gloucester on Cape Ann, there were referred to as the eastern or Cape Ann company. According to Caulkins the group included at least 20 families.

The group secured lots that were set out upon New Street later called Cape Ann Lane for many years and then Ann Street. The plot was designated as "beyond the brook and ministry lot." There were nine lots of six acres each, extending on both sides of the street from the Alder Swamp in front to the Cedar Swamp on the west. Hugh Calkins had the first lot, then Hugh Roberts, Coite, Lester, Avery, Allyn, Meades, Hough, Isbell. The Beebys and Marshalls were yet farther north. James Morgan was "on the path to New Street" (i.e. Ashcraft Street). William Keeny was nearly opposite the south entrance to New Street, on the Nahantick Road. Parker was next below him, at the head of Close Cove, and Wellman on the same cove, south-east of Parker. Wellman and Coite eventually switched places as the latter was a ship-carpenter and wished to be near the water, where he could be accommodated with a building yard.

The company started heading their own way after a few years in New London. Some stayed in New London, some returned to Gloucester, some went on Norwich and other places. Reverend Blinman left in 1658, going first to New Haven and then back to England where he died in Bristol.

Members of the Cape Ann Company

The following persons were identified by Caulkins as probably being members of the Cape Ann Company:

The following persons should probably not be deemed part of the Cape Ann Company since, although they had been residents of Gloucester and later removed to New London, they moved to New London long after the others:

Sources

  • Babson, John J. History of the Town of Gloucester, Cape Ann, Including the Town of Rockport. Proctor Brothers, 1860. pp. 52. Link to pages at archive.org.
  • Caulkins, Francis Manwaring. History of New London, Connecticut. From the First Survey of the Coast in 1612, to 1852. 1852. pp. 67-72. Link to page at archive.org.




Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.

Categories: Cape Ann Company