Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Surnames/tags: Australia South_Australia Books
"Containing tried and tested recipes, contributed by experienced housewives and cookery experts"
This famous Australian recipe book will be 100 years old in 2023. First published in 1923 as a fundraiser for a school, it has remained a standard in South Australian kitchens ever since, and is still for sale. 
The genealogical interest is in the identities of the contributors. Most recipes are accompanied by a name and often a place of residence, usually in South Australia. Since King's College, the beneficiary, was a boarding school, contributions came from all over the state and sometimes other states.
The book was the idea of Annie L. Sharman and she credits Mrs C. R. Morris and Mrs G. McRitchie with gathering the advertisements which funded the publishing of the first edition.
Do you have a contributor among your relatives? If so, add them here.
This project has only just begun and so far we have only a short list of contributors, some without WikiTree profiles. Can you create a profile for these people? (Page numbers refer to the 38th edition):
- Thelma Jean (Watt) Batchelor, Prospect Gardens: Nutties, Pg 175
- Mrs H. Benfield, Croydon, Melon Jam, Pg 211 (75th edition)
- Mrs G. Bradley, Torrens Park: Orange Cake, Pg 143
- Miss D. Cochrane, Auburn, Victoria. Rhubarb Sponge and Rhubarb Jelly, Pg 105
- Mrs. Geo. Heath (1885 - 1980), Keyneton: Savoury Carrots, Pg 66.
- Dorothea (Doddridge) Jarrett (1889 - 1961), Angaston: Cream Puffs, Pg121.
- Mrs M. A. Luck (1891 - 1980) of Croydon Park, Scottish Shortbread, Pg 182
- Mrs W. Schmidt, Railway Town, Broken Hill: Sardine Puffs Pg 37
- Mrs T. C. Sharman (1869 - 1948), Black Forest: Tomato Chutney' Pg 227
- Miss B. Skewes, Victor Harbor: Potato Puff, Pg 67
- Ethel (Kerr) Slane (1879 - 1944) North Unley: Angel's Food (Eggless), Pg 95
- Mrs W. J. Smith (abt. 1887 - 1953) of Fairfield, Maitland: Christmas Cake, Pg 133
- Mrs Fred Thorn. of Angaston: Plum Pudding, Pg 80 (75th edition)
- Mrs Stanley Haskard (1891-1975) of Jamestown "Shortbread", pg 181.
- ↑ National Archives of Australia Magazine Issue 3 2018 Pg 33 "Lentil soup - or bloater paste?"
- ↑ CULTURED CHURCHWOMEN:- Leading Congregationalists - UNSELFISH DEVOTION
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 1 Jan 2019 at 00:57 GMT Anne (Turner) Tichborne wrote:
On 22 Oct 2018 at 19:01 GMT Veronica (Coat) Williams wrote:
On 28 Sep 2018 at 04:08 GMT Anne (Turner) Tichborne wrote: