Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Surname/tag: Hadley, Hoadle, Hoadley, Hoadly, Hoathly, Hodely, Hodlegh, Hodleye, Hothlegh, Hoodley
- Full Title: The Hoadley Genealogy A History of the Descendants of William Hoadley of Branford, Connecticut together with Some account of Other Families of the Name
- Author: Francis Bacon Trowbridge
- Publishing Information: Printed for the Author, 1894 in New Haven, Connecticut
<span id='Trowbridge'></span>Trowbridge, Francis Bacon. ''[[Space:The Hoadley Genealogy: A History of the Descendants of William Hoadley of Branford, Connecticut|The Hoadley Genealogy: A History of the Descendants of William Hoadley of Branford, Connecticut]]'' (New Haven, Connecticut: Printed for the Author, 1894)
Inline Citation Example
<ref>[[#Trowbridge|Trowbridge]], pp. 7.</ref>
Available online at these locations:
- https://books.google.com/books?id=GO1UAAAAMAAJ&source=gbs_navlinks_s [free]
- https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89063107767;view=1up;seq=15 [free]
- https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=14883 [$]
- https://archive.org/details/hoadleygenealogy00introw [free]
The Hoadley family originated in the south of England and is supposed to have derived its name from one of two parishes in Sussex, East and West Hoadly, (now spelled Hoathly), one in the rape of Lewes, the other in that of Pevensey.
Mention is made in the Sussex Archeological Collections of Margaret, daughter and heir of Solomon de Hothlegh, (about 1280,) of William de Hodlegh, 1296, of Maurice de Hodleye, 1318, (11th Ed. ii.) King Edward ii sent Maurice de Hothlegh on an errand from Tunbridge to London.
In Queen Elizabeth's time John Hodeley, of Lamberhurst on the borders of Kent and Sussex, had a chancery suit against the vicar.
Thomas Hodely, of Sussex, pleb., of Queens College Oxford, matriclated 7 Dec. 1616, aged 18, B.A. 1629, M.A. 1623.
In the 17th century there were a number by the name in various parishes of Sussex and kent, who were small landholders, and the name is still to be found in those counties.
The place of birth neither of John Hoadley of Guilford, nor of William of Branford, has as yet been ascertained, though there appears to be reason to suppose that they former came from Kent. That they were related is probable, but the fact rests only at present on family tradition.
Table of Contents
- Tabular View of Heads of Families
- William Hoadley and his Descendants
- Other Families of Hoadleys
- John Hoadly of Guilford, Connecticut
- Thomas Hoadley of Hartland, Vermont, and his Descendants
- Miscellaneous Hoadleys
- Corrections and Additions
- Index I. - Christian names of those bearing the surname of Hoadley
- Index II. - Surnames other than Hoadley
- Family Register