no image

The Liverpool Shipping Co Ltd

Privacy Level: Public (Green)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: Liverpool, Lancashire, Englandmap
Surnames/tags: British_Shipping_Lines Liverpool Fernie
This page has been accessed 1,738 times.

The Liverpool Shipping Co Ltd

British shipping line in the mid to late 1800s, into the early 1900s that was based in Liverpool. Successor to H Fernie and Sons, Liverpool. Most vessels were iron-hulled square-rigged sailing ships, also known as windjammers.

Family members

Henry F Fernie, William J. Fernie, David Fernie

Locations

ca 1874 Henry Fernie, 20 Water St, Liverpool

ca 1880s Borough Buildings, 7 Rumford St, Liverpool

ca 1890s 7 Rumford St, Liverpool (Portsea, Hants.)

ca 1900s Borough Buildings, 7 Rumford St, Liverpool

‘Omene’ line of ships

'Argomene', 1662 tons, iron ship 1716 tons. ON76415, 241.0 x 38.7 x 24.0 Built 1877 by TR Oswald, Southampton. Owners H Fernie and Sons. Liverpool (Later Liverpool Shipping Co. Ltd. managed by Fernies) c.1899 sold to S. Hampton Co. Ltd. (JB Thomson) registered Glasgow (renamed 'Hampton') c.1910 to Italian owners and renamed 'Bianchetto' and drops from registers after 1917. Argomene photo

'Aristomene', 84076, Liverpool, 1661 - 1795 tons, iron ship, 1795 tons. ON84076, 263.0 x 39.1 x 24.1. Built 1881 by WH Potter and sons. Registered Liverpool: Owners H. Fernie and Sons, registered Liverpool c. 1910 became Italian 'Olona' and in 1918 had a diesel engine installed and was then an auxiliary barque. Broken up in c.1922. Aristomene photo

'Chrysomene', 1835 tons, iron ship, 1835 tons, ON69328, 261.6 x 41.8 x 23.8. Built 1873 by Potter and Hodgkinson. Liverpool. Owners: H. Fernie and Sons. registered Liverpool. c.1900 sold to German owners and renamed Elfrieda taken over by British Government during WW1 and renamed Clevedon. Hulked at Fremantle in 1922. Chrysomene photo

'Cleomene', The iron barque (ex ship), 1790 tons, [possibly also known as the 'Mincio']. Cleomene photo

'Cypromene', 78821, Liverpool, 1750t, built by Oswald, Mordaunt of Woolston-Southampton in 1878. Managing owner 1880 Henry Fernie, Borough Buildings, 7 Rumford St, Liverpool; 1890 David Fernie, Borough Buildings, 7 Rumford St, Liverpool (Portsea, Hants.); 1900 Henry F Fernie, The Liverpool Shipping Co Ltd, Borough Buildings, 7 Rumford St, Liverpool. She was stranded in October, 1903 and was bought by Matson and renamed ‘Monterey’, he also re-rigged her as a four-mast schooner and she began an oil-carrying career. She was sold to the Fife Shipping Company and was still sailing into the1930’s. She was broken up in 1934. *98107

'Dynomene', 1949 tons, iron ship 1949 tons. ON86204. 270.0 x 39.8 x 24.1. Built 1882 (6) WH Potter and Sons, Liverpool. Owners H Fernie and Sons, registered Liverpool, later Liverpool Shipping Co. Ltd, managed by H Fernie and Sons. Sold for hulking in 1910 Dynomene photo

'Eulomene', four masted steel barque, 2725 tons, steel 4 mast ship. ON99307, 310.5 x 43.0 x 24.5. Built 1891 by R.Thompson and Sons, Sunderland. Owners: H Fernie and Sons, Liverpool (Liverpool Shipping Co.) registered Liverpool. Missing in 1905 on her passage from Bremerhaven to the Tyne. NB. There were two ships of this name in the fleet, the earlier one was built in 1881 and wrecked in 1884. Eulomene photo

'Idomene', 69371, Liverpool, 1390, Year built: 1874; Date completed: 20/04/1874; Vessel type: Cargo General; Vessel description: Iron Sailing Vessel; Ship Builder: Oswald & Co., Pallion; Yard: Pallion, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England; Yard no: 137; Tonnage: 1424 grt / 1390 nrt; Length: 243.7 ft; Breadth: 37.0 ft; Depth: 23.3 ft; First owner: H. Fernie & Sons, Liverpool; First port of register: Liverpool; End year: 1887; Fate/Status: Wrecked 14/11/1887: Disposal Detail: 14/11/1887 wrecked, details untraced. Idomene - Sunderland

'Jessomene', 1944 tons, iron ship, (possibly also known as 'Fidelio' and 'Heldos'). Jessomene photo

'Melpomene', 1514 tons, iron ship 1514 tons, ON63152. 242.0 x 38.4 x 23.7. Built 1869 by John Reid and Co. Port Glasgow. Owners HP Corsar (of Arbroath) registered Liverpool c.1875 Henry Fernie and Sons, registered Liverpool and drops from the register before 1882. Melpomene photo

'Philomene', 70956, Liverpool, 1351 - 1465 tons, iron ship 1465 tons, ON70956. 240.7 x 37.1 x 23.2. Built 1875, TR Oswald and Co., Southampton. Owners: H Fernie and Sons, registered Liverpool. Drops from the registers c.1905. Philomene photo (Note from Ron Parsons "Lubbock and Hurst have become confused with the two ships of this fleet, Pythomene and Philomene and attribute subsequent names to the incorrect ships - be careful")

'Pythomene', 1954 tons, iron ship, 1954 tons, ON81338, 265.6 x 39.7 x 24.1. Built 1880 by Oswald, Mordaunt and Co., Southampton. Owners: H Fernie and Sons, registered Liverpool: c.1910 became the Italian ship 'Reno' and about 1919 was renamed 'Monte Nero' and broken up in the 1920s. Pythomene photo (Note from Ron Parsons "Lubbock and Hurst have become confused with the two ships of this fleet, 'Pythomene' and 'Philomene' and attribute subsequent names to the incorrect ships - be careful).

'Sardomene', 86191, Liverpool, 1860t, built by Oswald at Woolston-Southampton in 1882, Managing owner 1900 Henry F Fernie, The Liverpool Shipping Co Ltd, Borough Buildings, 7 Rumford St, Liverpool. She was sunk by the Germans in July 1915.

Other Ships

'British Monarch', 51482, Liverpool, 1261t, built Birkenhead (Wirral in Merseyside, England) in 1865. 1874 sold to H. Fernie & Sons, Liverpool, 1880 re-rigged as barque, 1889 abandoned on fire off South Africa, Managing owner 1880 Henry Fernie, Liverpool; 1890 David Fernie, 7 Rumford St, Liverpool.

'Iron Cross', 1508 tons, iron ship, 1552 tons. ON9965. 247.0 x 35.2 x 18.7. Built 1854 by Scott and Co. Greenock as the screw steamship 'Robert Lowe' and converted to sailing ship early 1870s upon acquisition by H Fernie and sons, registered Liverpool. Wrecked while on a voyage from Gefle to Melbourne with pig iron and deals, at Storgrun Berden, 7 September 1891. Iron Cross photo

'Great Victoria', 2278 tons, [Ronald Parsons expanded notes state this is an iron ship = iron ship, 2386 tons. ON47465, 286.1 x 39.4 x 22.9. Built 1854 Guilbert Fils, Nantes as the ss 'Jacquard' and rebuilt in 1863 by W Patterson, Bristol as an auxiliary screw steamship. Converted to sailing vessel c. 1873/4 on acquisition by Henry Fernie and Sons. Registered Liverpool. Early 1880s sold to WT Dixon and Sons, registered Liverpool. Drops from register early 1890s. As an auxiliary steamer was a frequent visitor to Australia under the auspices of the Black Ball Line. See also 'North Star to Southern Cross' Maber, Stephensons 1967. Great Victoria photo

'Knight Commander', 48802, Liverpool, 1435 tons, Built at Dublin in 1864, 1890 Managing Owner Henry Fernie, Borough Buildings, Rumford St, Liverpool. Disposal: Missing.

'Staffordshire', iron barque (ex ship) , 1168 tons, iron ship, made into barque c.1880. 1173 tons, later 1197 tons. ON45399. 207.1 x 34.4 x 23.3. Built 1862 by Jones, Quiggin and Co. Liverpool. Owners: 1870 CJ English, registered Liverpool. Then David Stuart and Co., registered Liverpool. c.1880 H Fernie and Sons, registered Liverpool. c.1891 renamed 'Mimi' and registered in Hamburg. Staffordshire photo

Links

Ship Photos - State Library of South Australia

Colonial Tall Ships - Ship snippets



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
  • Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.