Location: South Australia, Australia
Surnames/tags: South_Australia Australia
|Map of South Australia in 1851|
The South Australian Company, founded in 1836, expedited the settlement of British migrants in the new colony of South Australia. The company advertised for investors to buy land in the colony and for skilled people to emigrate there. The company's ships carried the new settlers to South Australia where it also provided infrastructure for the new settlement and published the South Australian Gazette The Company was wound up in 1949.
- State Library of South Australia http://guides.slsa.sa.gov.au/c.php?g=410270&p=2794886
- Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Australian_Company
- Bound For South Australia (History S.A. and The Dept of Education) http://boundforsouthaustralia.com.au/journey-content/the-south-australian-company.html
There are two excellent historical accounts of early Kingscote and the activities there of the South Australian Company. The company established the town and imported its workers, its building materials and its supplies, even its water. I.A.Diamond Problems in the South Australian Company's Settlement on Kangaroo Island (Hons History University of Adelaide 1952) and Aspects of the History of the South Australian Company - the first decade (M.A. Adelaide 1955 and F.H.Bauer The Regional Geography of Kangaroo Island, South Australia (PhD Australian National University 1959). Both of these are held at the S.A. Archives.
This page was provided by the Kangaroo Island Early Settlers Project
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
On 24 Dec 2018 at 02:43 GMT Kylie Haese wrote:
On 4 Aug 2017 at 02:32 GMT A. (Turner) T. wrote: