Surnames/tags: Maupin Maupins Moppin
Title: The Story of Gabriel and Marie Maupin
- Huguenot Refugees to Virginia in 1700.
Compiled, edited and expanded by
Dorothy Maupin Shaffett - Copyright 1994
1819 N. 82nd Street
Kansas City, KS 66112-2005
Gateway Press, Inc.
1001 N. Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
Library of Congress Control Number 93-79302
A history of the immigration of Gabriel and Marie Maupin to America with a focus on their Huguenot heritage, including a detailed history of the Maupin family up through the early 20th century. The research done by Dorothy Maupin Shaffett corrects many of the myths that had been handed down by Maupin family descendants. For example (spoiler alert!) Gabriel was not a general and his wife, Marie, was not a Spencer. And they were not from Navarre.
Known Errors or Issues
First, The digital copy found on-line is missing pages 214-215.
Those pages have been attached as images here.
- Page 90, Amelia Carter was not the widow of Elihu Carter, she was his daughter. Jenkins was not her maiden name.
- Page 130, birth year for John M. Wood should be 1836, not 1856. (He was married in 1856.)
- Page 156 birth date for Bernard Maupin is 1 Jun 1782. Page 157 says 1 Jun 1783. Which is it?
- Page 182, Fleming Cobbs Maupin died in Fort Collins, Colorado, not Fort Collins, IA.
- Page 184, George F., son of Charles Morris Maupin was born in 1858, not 1838.
- Page 212, Susannah's LNAB should be Cooper, not Copper, and her marriage date is 6 Oct 1831. The date given 7 Nov 1831 was the date of recording in the Marriage Register.
- Page 251, Talitha (Maupin) Gates is shown as a daughter of Daniel Maupin III, but he is actually her grandfather. She is the daugher of Garland D. Maupin Sr., proven in Garland's will.
- Page 253, Archibald Maupin's wife Rebecca died on 21 Jan 1884, not in 1808.
- Page 256, Malinda married Daniel Crews not David. But he was the son of David Crews.
- Page 270, Malinda married James Peter Burnett (1795-1873), not Bennett.
- Page 292, George... "Some records give his wife as Polly, daughter of John". But, Lysander Maupin's death certificate shows his mother (George's wife) was ___ Jarman.
- Page 307, William Addison Maupin's death date is 3 Apr 1877, not 23 Oct 1853, which is his brother Peter's death date.
- Page 339 3. Luraney married Stephen King, on 16 Dec 1785, not 1786.
- Page 342 A. 1. c. Virginia did not die single in 1880, but in 1926, married to Alonzo K Greenstreet.
- Page 344, 3. said "... married Mary Maupin, daughter of Thomas L. Maupin." Should say "granddaughter." Page 369, sect C., 2. shows it correctly.
- Page 344, 3a. Addie Ida Maupin is a conflation of two individuals: Addie Eudora & Ida Laura.
- Page 345, sect c. 2. Maude was born 31 Dec 1896 (not 1897) - it is corrected on p. 370 sect. c2.
- Page 345, sect c. 5. Wilber should be Wilmer. It is corrected on p. 370 sect. c5.
- Page 364, sect G. William Taylor Maupin's birth date should be 30 Aug 1832, which is on his gravestone. 
- Page 367, Sect A, George Maupin was born in 1819 according to FindAGrave and FamilySearch.
- Page 369, sect C. says Jacob married Rhonda Holt, should be Rhoda.
- Page 371, C.12, Benjamin F. Maupin did not marry "Estes," (She married Benjamin L. Maupin.) This Benjamin's wife was Flora Elnora Sims
(Please add to this section as you discover errors that you can verify!)
Available online at these locations:
- FamilySearch Book: 285031
Citing This Source
Here's what a full citation of this book might look like, with the link referring back to this page:
- Maupin, Socrates, Eugene Maupin, and Dorothy Maupin Shaffett. The Story of Gabriel and Marie Maupin: Huguenot Refugees to Virginia In 1700. Baltimore: Gateway Press, 1994, page xx.
You can use this citation in two ways:
- Source Citation: This text can be cut-and-pasted to the bottom of any profile:
- [[Maupin-675|Maupin, Socrates]], [[Maupin-702|Eugene Maupin]], and [[Maupin-696|Dorothy Maupin Shaffett]]. [[Space:The_Story_of_Gabriel_and_Marie_Maupin|The Story of Gabriel and Marie Maupin]]: Huguenot Refugees to Virginia In 1700. Baltimore: Gateway Press, 1994, page xx.
- Footnote: This text can be cut and pasted to provide an "inline citation" producing a footnote:
- <ref>[[Maupin-675|Maupin, Socrates]], [[Maupin-702|Eugene Maupin]], and [[Maupin-696|Dorothy Maupin Shaffett]]. [[Space:The_Story_of_Gabriel_and_Marie_Maupin|The Story of Gabriel and Marie Maupin]]: Huguenot Refugees to Virginia In 1700. Baltimore: Gateway Press, 1994, page xx.</ref>
Of course, change "page xx" to the actual page number!
- ↑ Marshall, Maudie Marie (Holt), 1908-. The Descendants of Michael Holt. Houston, Texas, 1967, page 517
- ↑ https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/40960560
- ↑ Marshall, Maudie Marie (Holt), 1908-. The Descendants of Michael Holt. Houston, Texas, 1967, page 539.