Location: Lancaster, New York
by Michael Nuwer
June 15, 2020
Joseph Voegele (1790-1868) immigrated to the United States from Soufflenheim, Alsace, arriving in New York City July 9, 1847. He was accompanied by his wife and seven children. Joining the Voegele’s on that journey was Martin Halter (1796-1879), his wife, and their five children. The Halter’s were also from Soufflenheim.
On September 3, 1847 Joseph Voegele and Martin Halter together purchased land in Lancaster. The deed tells us that they paid $600 to Hiram Clark for the northern part of lot 57 in the southern part of Lancaster. The parcel of land contained 50 acres. It was on Schwartz road and was originally part of the Buffalo Creek Indian reservation.
Fifteen months later, the two friends legally divided their land. In January 1849 Joseph Voegele purchased the northern 25 acres of their parcel for $300 while Martin Halter paid the $300 back to Joseph Voegele for the southern 25 acres.
In August 1867, Joseph Voegele sold his farm to George Zaepfel, who lived a few doors up the road. Then in March 1873, George Zaepfel sold those 25 acres to his son Joseph Zaepfel.
Martin Halter sold his 25-acres to his son Louis for $900 in September 1866 but remained on the farm until his death in 1879. Louis added ten acres of land in April 1869.
The attached image from 1880 shows lot 57. By 1880, Joseph Voegele’s farm was owned by J. Zaepfel and Martin Halter’s farm was owned by his son L. Halter.
More about the Voegele’s and Halter’s is available here:
January 1849: Joseph Voegele to Martin Halter
Martin Halter to Joseph Voegele
August 1867: Joseph Voegele to George Zaepfel
September 1866: Martin Halter to Louis Halter
April 1869: Louis Halter from Hiram Clark, ten additional acres