Thomas presumed to be born about 1600 per his 1662 deposition in Middlesex County, Mass where he described himself as 62 years old
John Greene, not Thomas, married 1627 at Prestbury. This is the marriage at Prestbury, Cheshire, England, 5 July 1627 of John Greene and Elizabeth Swindells/Swindels. There are two reliable sources for the marriage,
- Published record. See Greene-Swindells 1627 marriage, James Croston, ed., Record Society for the Publication of Original Documents relating to Lancashire and Cheshire, 109 vols. ([S.l.] : The Society, 1879-1965), 5 (Prestbury 1560-1636):260; digital images, Hathi Trust.
- Parish register. See Greene-Swindels 1627 marriage, "Parish registers for Prestbury, Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1560-1636, 1637-1685 ..." in "England, Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538-2000"; images, FamilySearch, courtesy of Cheshire Record Office; FHL film 2093600 DGS 4018873, image 131 of 481.
The marriage license is also of record, dated 26 June 1627.
- Green-Swindells 1627 marriage license, William Ferguson Irvine, ed., Marriage Licences in the Diocese of Chester 1624-1632, 8 vols. ([Edinburgh & London] : Printed for the Society, 1907-1924), in The Record Society for the Publication of Original Documents related to Lancashire and Cheshire 3 (vol. 57):98; digital images, Hathi Trust.
- John Green and Elizabeth Swindells, Parish of Prestbury, Chesh., Spinster. Bondsman, Thomas Green. At Prestbury and Revds. Newton and Lawrence Leicester, Clerks.
- Greene-Swindles 1627 marriage license, "Marriage licences, 1624-1631, 1639-1644, 1661-1673" in "England, Cheshire, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1606-1900"; database and images, FamilySearch (database, indexed as Johnem Greene and Elizabetham Swindles, 26 Jun 1627) and FamilySearch (digital image, Latin), courtesy of Cheshire Record Office, Chester, FHL film 1,885,391, DGS 4018557, image 118 of 285 (sixth entry, verso).
No Lynde at Prestbury. There were no entries returned from a search for the surname "Lynde" (including variants Linde, Lind, Lynd) in the published parish registers of Prestbury. Likewise, no entries were returned from a search for the same surname and variants in the Cheshire published marriage bonds and allocations.
Search for marriages at St. Albans, Hertfordshire.
- Database search for Green/Greene/Grene marriages at Hertfordshire County Council (capturing St. Albans entries. 1540-1640)
- Henrie Johnson and Emme Greene, St Albans Abbey, marriage register, 27 Jan 1567
- John Greene and Elizabeth Seale, St Albans Abbey, marriage register, 17 Jun 1571
- William Greene and Joane Arnolde, St Albans Abbey, marriage register, 31 May 1579
- Philip Greene and Elizabeth Eliot, St Albans Abbey, marriage register, 11 Feb 1581
- Phillip Greene and Elizabeth Lake, St Albans Abbey, marriage register 21 Feb 1594
- John Simson and Sybil Greene, St Albans St Peters, marriage register, 7 Feb 1595
- Thomas Grene and Joan, St Albans St Michael, Bishops Transcripts, 29 Jul 1597
- Peter Dickinson and Anne Greene, St Albans Abbey, marriage register, 29 Jan 1603
- Thomas Greene and Christian Miriwether, St Albans St Peters, marriage register, 18 Nov 1604
- Morice Owen and Margaret Greene, St Albans Abbey, marriage register, 3 Jul 1608
- Nicolas Grene and Joan Oneye, St Albans Abbey, marriage register, 7 Jul 1618
- Richard Birchmore and Judith Green, St Albans St Stephen, marriage register, 4 Feb 1627
- Nicholas Highate and Lucy Greene of Redbourn, St Albans St Stephen, marriage register, 22 Nov 1635
- George Greene and Elizabeth Turner, St Albans St Peters, marriage register, 30 Sep 1637
- Database (IGI batches) search via Archer Software (capturing entries to 1640)
- Thomas Harison and Margaret Greene (Abbey St Albans), 15 September 1566 (M012041)
- Jhon Green and Eme. Taylor (St. Stephen) 9 October 1569 (M072871)
- John Greene and Elizabeth Seale ([Abbey] St. Albans) 17 June 1571 (M012041)
- John Simson and Sibyll Greene ([St Peter] St. Albans) 7 February 1595 (M072861)
- Peter Dickinson and Anne Greene ([Abbey] St. Albans) 29 January 1603 (M012041)
- Thomas Greene and Christain Miriwether ([St Peter] St. Albans) 18 November 1604 (M072861)
- Richard Shelly and Jane Grene (Abbey St Albans). 22 January 1608 (M012041)
- Morice Owen and Margaret Greene (Abbey St Albans), 3 July 1608 (M012041)
- Nicolas Grene and Joan Oneye (Abbey St Albans), 7 July 1618 (M012041)
- Richard Birchmore and Judith Green (St. Stephen) 4 February 1627 (M072871)
- Nicholas Highgate and Luce Greene (St. Stephen) 22 November 1635 (M072871)
- George Greene and Elizabeth Turner ([St Peter] St. Albans) 30 September 1637 (M072861)
Was John Greene's wife Elizabeth Swindells baptized 1604? See Elizabeth Swindles, 1604 baptism, James Croston, ed., Record Society for the Publication of Original Documents relating to Lancashire and Cheshire, 109 vols. ([S.l.] : The Society, 1879-1965), 5 (Prestbury 1560-1636):162; digital images, Hathi Trust. Note: The place Tytherington is reported a township within the Prestbury parish area (p. x-xi).
- Tyddderingeton ... ...Elizabeth Swindles ... ... .. xxiijo [Sept.] 
Research at Toppesfield
Thomas Greene, son of William, was baptized at Toppesfield, February 18, 1599/1600.
Note: an image of the original parish register showing this 1599/600 baptism is here The exact day in February is blurred (although the next record is clearly Feb 21) and was interpreted as the 3rd by Kempton (presumably "iij"), the 4th by freereg.org.uk transcribers (presumably "4th") and as the 18th by Barnes and Morant. Regardless, it was February and fell into the 1599/1600 double-date period.
H. B. Barnes and Philip Morant, The register of baptisms, marriages and burials at St. Margaret's, Toppesfield Parish, Essex Co., England : 1559-1650 ... (Topsfield, Mass. : Merrill Press, 1905); InternetArchive. The first baptismal entries are dated 1559. Searching Greene, capturing entries through 1650.
- 1560, Anne, d. Thomas Greene, 23 Februarie [1560/1]
- 1563, Thomas Greene, 28th August
- 1565, Simon, s. Thomas, 20 June
- 1568, Barbara, d. Thomas Greene, 7th April
- 1569, William, s. Thomas Greene, 6 March [1569/70] page 7 (likely Thomas' father)
- 1577, Alice, d. John Greene, 3 November, page 9
- 1579, Alice, d. John Greene, 6 September, page 10
- 1582, Elizabeth, d. Robert Greene, 14 Julie, page 11
- 1583, Elizabeth, d. John Greene, 26 Maye, page 11
- 1585, John, s. John Greene, 9 May, page 12
- 1594, ffrances, d. William Greene, 25 August, page 16
- 1595, John, s. Simon Greene, 6 Julie, page 17
- 1596, William, s. William Greene, 20 Februaarie [1596/7], page 17
- 1598, William, s. Simon Greene, 23 April, page 18
- 1598, William, s. William Greene, butcher, 1 October, page 18
- 1599/1600, Thomas, s. William Greene, 3rd, 4th or 18th Februarie [1599/1600], page 19
- 1600, Richard, s. William Greene, 30 March, page 19
- 1605, Anne, d. William Greene, 1 June, page 21
- 1625, Mary, d. Thomas Greene & Mary, 8 Sept., page 31 (likely first daughter of Thomas by his first wife Mary, possibly Smith)
- 1632, John, s. Thomas Greene & Elizabeth, 6 December, page 35
- 1634, Elizabeth, d. Thomas Greene & Elizabeth, 30 Novem-, page 36
- 1636, Marie, d. William Greene & Marie, 15 May, page 37
- 1636, William, s. Thomas Greene & Elizabeth, 15 December, page 37
- 1638, William, s. William Greene & Mary, 15 Octob., page 38
- 1638, Henery, s. Thomas Greene & Elizabeth, 13 Janu. [1638/9], page 39
- 1618, Samuel Edwards & ffrances Greene, June 24, page 46
- 1630, John ffitches & Elizabeth Greene, 7 October, page 47
- 1632, Thomas Warner & Anne Greene, 11 June, page 47
- 1634, William Greene & Marie Lithermore, 6 November, page 48
- 1568, Barbara, d. John Greene, 23 April, page 50
- 1575: Thomas Greene, 12 Novemb., page 51
- 1593, Anne, d. Widow Greene, 18 May, page 53
- 1598, Alyce Greene, widow, 25 March, page 55
- 1625, Mary, w. Thomas Greene, 8 September, page 60 (likely first wife of this Thomas)
- 1626, Margaret Greene, widdow, 2 May, page 61
- 1632, William Greene, the elder, 27 June, page 63
Thomas did not appear in his mother's 1642 will so there is speculation that he was already in New England by that date. His 1662 deposition stated that at about 16 or 18 years old his family lived on "Lady Moodey"s farm in Lynn, Massachusetts which would mean they were in Massachusetts as early as 1644. citing Middlesex Court Files folio 32. They were in Malden by 1649 per a deposition of Thomas' son John (Kempton citing Middlesex Court Files folio 179).
Neither Thomas nor his son Thomas was the 15-year old listed on both the Hopewell and the Planter in 1635 (born c. 1620). The entry on the Hopewell listed him as "Son of George" while his entry the Planter simply listed his name and age. Some web sites claim this teen was from St. Albans, Hertfordshire.
Nor were they the Thomas Green of the 1635 Speedwell who traveled alone as a 24-year old on a ship bound for Virginia, not New England. so was born about 1611, nicely in between Thomas Green Sr. and Jr.
In fact it is not clear if the 15-year old Thomas ever traveled to New England and while records in Roxbury, Massachusetts and another Thomas Green of Malden who married Margaret Call and seemingly Elizabeth Webb have been identified as possible candidates, it was definitely not THIS Thomas "jr" who was only about 5 years old in 1635. Anderson in "Great Migration" discusses this scenario as well and thinks that the 15-year old never appeared in New England.
Thomas Greene, baptized Aug 3, 1600, Hertfordshire
This Thomas Greene, son of Thomas was baptized at Stevenage, Hertford, England Aug 3, 1600. This Thomas had a son Thomas baptized the same place 21 Jun 1624 However, no other child of Thomas Green is found in Stevenage in the next 10 years so we are missing the other known children of the immigrant born in that time (John, Elizabeth, William, Henry). A visual search of parish register images was done on findmypast.co.uk along with a search of available indexed databases on the internet.
In further research at Hertfordshire, William Green wrote his will in 1639 at Willian; this will was downloaded and read and listed 3 sons (William, John and Edward) along with daughters Alice Warren, Anne/Annis King and Isabell "Downton" along with unmarried daughter Sarah Green, wife Johane and brother Thomas Green (so possibly the father listed in the prior christening record but uncertain). No son Thomas was listed making this an unlikely candidate for father of the immigrant.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1
- ↑ England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975, database, FamilySearch : 20 March 2020), Thomas Greene, 1600. Reference Film # 007562811, image 324 or 416, page number 19
- ↑ Parish registers for Toppesfield, 1559-1974 Baptisms, 1559-1692; burials, 1560-1689; marriages, 1598-1690 FHL film 857071 Item 5 Image 539 of 615
- ↑ 1635 Hopewell passenger list for 15 year old Thomas Green at packratpro.com
- ↑ 1635 Planter passenger list for 15 year old Thomas Green at packratpro.com
- ↑ 1635 Passenger list of the Speedwell for 24-year old Thomas Green
- ↑ Great Migration 1634-1635, G-H. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009.) Originally published as: The Great Migration, Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635, Volume III, G-H, by Robert Charles Anderson. Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2003. p. 151 $subscription
- ↑ England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975, database, FamilySearch : 19 March 2020), Thomas Greene, 1600. FamilySearch Link
- ↑ "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975", database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NRZB-N7F : 19 March 2020), Thomas Greene, 1624.
- ↑ UK National Archives PROB 11 - Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers Reference PROB 11/181/178