Location: San Diego, San Diego County, California
Surnames/tags: Whaley haunted
Most Haunted House in America
- Name: Whaley House Museum 
- Location: 2476 San Diego Avenue, San Diego, California
- Date: 31 Oct 2017
- Currently maintained by Save Our Heritage Organisation. Note: Copyright Notice: No part of this web site may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the specific written permission of SOHO. Unless otherwise stated, all material on this website is © copyright SOHO. To obtain permission to reprint text or images, please contact us: Save Our Heritage Organisation, 2476 San Diego Avenue, San Diego, California, 92110. Phone: (619) 297-9327
|Thomas Whaley (1823 - 1890)|
Builder, Thomas Whaley
- Date: 1857
- Thomas Whaley of New York, and family moved to the now famous Whaley House, located in Old Town, San Diego, California. While residing there, a litany of extraordinary family tragedies occurred to the Whaley family. Many folks contribute the misfortunes to mischievous ghosts who refuse to leave the property. Over the years, the house has been a general store, a courthouse, and a theater, and no one has lived there since 1958. And now, reportedly, the ghost of Thomas Whaley, is occasionally seen visiting his old house, along with his wife and baby who died there.
Origin of Ghosts
The word is, Whaley built the home over top of a place where convicts and others were hanged to their deaths in the Gallows. One notable ghost is Yankee Jim, a boat thief, who later hung himself on the property (yeah right,) or did someone else hang him? The Travel Channel reports that the ghost of Yankee Jim, sometimes chokes or scratches his victims.
- Date: 1932
- California State Historic Landmark
- The Line Up: The Whaley House: The Most Haunted Home in America. 03 Oct 2017 by Orrin Grey © 2017 OPEN ROAD MEDIA
- National Trust for Historic Preservation: Distinctive Destinations, Whaley House Museum
- Travel Channel: Whaley House Pictures
- California Through My Lens: Whaley House: Most Haunted Place in America
- See Also
- Wikipedia: Thomas Whaley
- Wikipedia: Whaley House
- Google: Whaley House
- Trip Advisor: The Whaley House
- Zillow: Top 10 Haunted Homes in the U.S.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)