Surnames/tags: Tompolski Tompolska Tompolsky
About the Project
The Tompolski Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Tompolski name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Tompolski name.
We suspect that the name Tompolski originates in what is now part of Poland, but historically has been partly-Russian, part Austro-Hungarian and more. There has historically been a strong concentration of the name around the area of Lublin, particularly in and around the town of Urzędów.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Tompolski Name Study, first start out by browsing our task list to see if there is a specific job that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in! Alternatively, please contact the Name Study Coordinator: Ralph Allison for assistance.
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
- Jan Tompolski - born around 1854 (Borszczów, now in Ukraine). Arrived in Canada in 1904. 5 new generations.
- Bronisław Tompolski - born 15 Oct 1893 (Trzydnik, Lubelskie, Polska). Arrived in New York (USA) in 1912. 4 new generations.
- Edmund Tompolski - born 16 Jan 1913 (Urzędów, Kraśnik, Lubelskie, Polska). Arrived in the United Kingdom in 1945. 3 new generations.
These are the tasks which members of the study can contribute to:
- Determine the source/origin of the surname TOMPOLSKI
- Map the main migration destinations of the surname from Poland overseas
- Find more Tompolskis who remained in Poland.
- Determine the final outcome/demise of Leon Tompolski.
- Enter your Tompolski ancestors
- Connect all Tompolskis to the main tree
- Make sure all Tompolskis are sourced
- Add the template and/or category to people with the Tompolski surname (I think I have completed this, RA).
- If you are a male Tompolski and have had your Y-DNA tested, enter your test information on Wikitree
- If you are descended from a Tompolski and have had your Autosomal DNA done, upload your data to Gedmatch and enter your test information on Wikitree so we can confirm relationships with triangulation
Helpful Wikitree Links
- Tompolski Name Study Category - Lists all people and pages related to the name study.
- Tompolski Map - Interactive map which plots profiles in this name study.
- Tompolski surname list - A list of all the Tompolskis on Wikitree.
- Tompolski DNA Connections
- Unconnected Tompolskis - These Tompolskis are not connected to the main tree.
- Unsourced Tompolskis - These Tompolskis are in need of sources.
- Recent Activity - Changes made to Tompolski profiles in the last week.
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
There appear to be a number of variants of the surname. Obviously Tompolska is the feminine form, but Tompalski could potentially be the original spelling. Variants ending in a 'y' tend to be Anglicised, but the variant Tąpolski sounds very similar using Polish accents.
Please see below quick-links of resources for each name variant.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and Ralph Allison. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)