Location: New England
Torrey’s New England Marriages Prior to 1700
"The work is so huge and so comprehensive (it is estimated that 99% of all marriages are included), that it has become one of the principal resources for seventeenth-century New England genealogy."
- Key to sources: A list of all sources used in Torrey’s New England Marriages Prior to 1700. including links to WikiTree Source pages.
- From FamilySearch.org.
- From : http://www.americanancestors.org/
- The original text may be accessed at the NEHGS Research Library. The call number is F3.T6 1971 http://library.nehgs.org/record=b1065447
- "Torrey," or Torrey's Marriage Index, as it's often called, is a compilation of approximately 37,000 known or presumed marriages that occurred prior to 1700, arranged alphabetically by groom. The work is so huge and so comprehensive (it is estimated that 99% of all marriages are included), that it has become one of the principal resources for seventeenth-century New England genealogy. Indeed, the usage of "Torrey" to refer both to the creator and to the work itself places it within that exclusive genealogical lexicon of by-names that includes "Savage," "Pope," and "Filby."
- Introduction by David Curtis Dearborn: http://www.americanancestors.org/uploadedFiles/American_Ancestors/Content/Databases/PDFs/Torrey/TorreyIntro.pdf
- Guide to Torrey's source references: http://www.americanancestors.org/uploadedFiles/American_Ancestors/Content/Databases/PDFs/Torrey/TorreySources.pdf
- The 2011 edition builds on extensive work done for the 2001 CD-ROM which was corrected by comparing the original sources, and should be preferred to previous editions.
- background: Tools of the Trade - Torrey's New England marriage Index, The Essex Genealogist (1981) Vol. 1, Page 89.
- The edition by Genealogical Publishing Co. (1985-2003) and posted on Ancestry.com is abridged, one volume with supplements, main entries but no references. The edition by NEHGS (2011), three volumes, posted on AmericanAncestors.org includes source references.
- Source Example:
- <span id='Torrey'></span>Torrey, Clarence Almon. ''[[Space:Torrey’s New England Marriages Prior to 1700|Torrey’s New England Marriages Prior to 1700]]'' (Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore, 1985)
- Inline Citation Example:
- <ref>[[#Torrey|Torrey]]: Vol. 1, Page 134</ref>
- Inline-Text Example:
- ([[#Torrey|Torrey]]: Vol. 1, Page 134)
Available online at these locations:
Not available online for free.
- at AmericanAncestors:
- https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/newenglandmarriages/ search at ancestry.com
- http://books.google.com/books?id=mOgK8dM9qqUC buy ebook
- Browsable Images of Torrey’s original manuscript
- (1991) Supplement, by Melinde Lutz Sanborn
- (1995) Second Supplement, by Melinde Lutz Sanborn
- (2003) Third Supplement, by Melinde Lutz Sanborn
- "This supplement to Torrey's New England Marriages Prior to 1700, the most complete index of its kind, is primarily an index to the major genealogical periodicals published since Torrey's death. Covering the period from 1962 through the spring of 2003, this new third supplement incorporates all of the information from the first and second supplements and contains 80% new material. Some 6,000 entries referring to as many as 20,000 individuals are included." (WorldCat)