Torrey’s New England Marriages Prior to 1700
"The work is so huge and so comprehensive (it is estimated that 99% of all marriages are included), that it has become one of the principal resources for seventeenth-century New England genealogy."
- Key to sources: A list of all sources used in Torrey’s New England Marriages Prior to 1700.
- http://books.google.com/books?id=mOgK8dM9qqUC buy ebook
- http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3824 search at ancestry.com
- http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=49372 search supplement at ancestry.com
- http://www.americanancestors.org/Blogs.aspx?id=24110&blogid=120636&blogid=120636 background info and purchase softcover book
- Second Supplement
- From : http://www.americanancestors.org/
- The original text may be accessed at the NEHGS Research Library. The call number is F3.T6 1971 http://library.nehgs.org/record=b1065447
- "Torrey," or Torrey's Marriage Index, as it's often called, is a compilation of approximately 37,000 known or presumed marriages that occurred prior to 1700, arranged alphabetically by groom. The work is so huge and so comprehensive (it is estimated that 99% of all marriages are included), that it has become one of the principal resources for seventeenth-century New England genealogy. Indeed, the usage of "Torrey" to refer both to the creator and to the work itself places it within that exclusive genealogical lexicon of by-names that includes "Savage," "Pope," and "Filby."
- Introduction by David Curtis Dearborn: http://www.americanancestors.org/uploadedFiles/American_Ancestors/Content/Databases/PDFs/Torrey/TorreyIntro.pdf
- Guide to Torrey's source references: http://www.americanancestors.org/uploadedFiles/American_Ancestors/Content/Databases/PDFs/Torrey/TorreySources.pdf
- The 2011 edition builds on extensive work done for the 2001 CD-ROM which was corrected by comparing the original sources, and should be preferred to previous editions.
- Citation Example:
- <span id='Torrey'></span>Torrey, Clarence Almon. ''[[Space:Torrey’s New England Marriages Prior to 1700|Torrey’s New England Marriages Prior to 1700]]'' (Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore, 1985)
- Footnote Example:
- <ref>[[#Torrey|Torrey]]: Vol. 1, Page 134</ref>
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.