Location: Tracy, Barren, Kentucky, United States
Tracy Kentucky is a part of Barren county, a community of about 12 miles south of Glasgow, named after the pioneering Tracy family, wich settled in the area in the early 1800's.
The portion of KY Highway 921 that runs from the Tracy Church to Brown's Ford and highway 98 is referred to as Bewleytown Rd, likely after the many Bewley's that resided in the area. .
Tracy United Methodist Church was organized in 1872 on the farm of Nelson Payne and was known as the Freeman's chapel, A few years later the Wood's donated land for the church to be built, and it was believed to be across the street from the present church. Overtime the name of the church gradually became Tracy.
The Tracy Post office existed from 1861-1965, some post office boxes survived and are in the Barren County Museum in the general store exhibity.
The Tracy general store was originally existing int he early 1900's was torn downin 1958 with a new building be constructed on the same site. was recently owned by Kay Bush, who was killed in a farming accident, and the store was sold. In the older days you could get a sandwihc made with bread or on real large crackers, cokes and candy bars. Later it became more of a traditional conveient store.
There was a school at Tracy across from the church, which was closed so that they would have enough students at the new Austin-Tracy school building. The original Tracy High Schooll began as a two year school in 1928, with a third year added in 1932. In 1933 the two year schools schools at Austin, Tracy, Lucas and Finney were consolidated into the Austin-Tracy High school.
- ↑ Barren County Historical Society notes and images of historical books in their posession sent to Kristina Wheeler