Location: Hampshire, Virginia, United States
Transcribed will of Thomas Edwards
Romney Courthouse, Hampshire County, West Virginia
Will Book Number two, Page Number 274/275/276
Ancestry.com. West Virginia, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1724-1985 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.
- Written: 8 February 1786
- Executed: 14 July 1791
The Eighth day of the Second month 1786
I Thomas Edwards of Hampshire County, and Common of Virginia, being in declining years but of perfect and sound mind, memory and understanding. Blessed be God for the same, and calling to mind the mortality of the Body and Knowing it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last will and Testament in manner and form following,
First I recommend my soul into my Saviour's Hand for all his his and my Body to the Earth to be buried in a Christian like and decent manner at the discretion of my Executors Hereafter named, and touching what temporal it hath pleased the Almighty to bestow on me in this life, I dispose thereof in form and manner following,
First I will that all my debts and funeral charges be paid and discharged.
Secondly I give and bequeath unto my well beloved wife, Mary Edwards, one third part of my estate, both real and personal during her life.
Thirdly I do will and bequeath to my son Thomas Edwards all my lands on both sides of Cacapon to him and his heirs and assigns for Ever and
Fourthly I will that my son Thomas Edwards shall pay thirty pounds specie unto my Grand Children the heirs of my son David Edwards when arrived at the age of 21 years in manner following: First that Jesse Edwards the eldest when of age 16 be paid ten pounds the one third of the above mentioned thirty pounds Secondly and Likewise Andrew and David Edwards to be paid Ten pounds each when arrived at the age of 21 years and the remainder of my personal Estate I will that it may be divided into five equal parts and divided into the following manner among the rest of my children hereafter named
I give to my Daughters Sarah, Ann, Naomi, and Margaret Each of them one fifth part of the above five parts and my Daughter Hannah, now deceased, one fifth part which allow to be equally divided amongst her children when of age.
Lastly, I do constitute and appoint my well beloved wife Mary Edwards and my brother-in-law Evan Hiett My Executors of this my Last Will and Testament by made and done Revoking and declaring Void All former Wills and Testaments. In witness whereof I have Hereto set my Hand and Seal the day and year above written.
Sealed Signed published pronounced and
acknowledged by the said Thomas Edwards to
be his last will and Testament in the
presence of us the subscribers
- John Slain
- David Forman
- Evan Jenkins
Names & Relationships Mentioned
- Wife: Mary Edwards
- Jesse Edwards (son of David Edwards I)
- Andrew Edwards (son of David Edwards I)
- David Edwards II (son of David Edwards I)
- children of deceased daughter Hannah Edwards
- "West Virginia Will Books, 1756-1971," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9392-CSSR-SX?cc=1909099&wc=Q816-MTY%3A179685701%2C179706501 : 23 October 2018), Hampshire > Will book, v. 002 1780-1794 > image 223 of 283; citing Jackson County Clerk, West Virginia.
- Ancestry.com. West Virginia, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1724-1985 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015. Wills; Author: Hampshire County (West Virginia). Clerk of the County Court; Probate Place: Hampshire, West Virginia