Location: Tyneham, Dorset, England, United Kingdom
Surnames/tags: One_Place_Studies England Dorset
Tyneham, Dorset One Place Study
Tyneham is Dorset's famous ‘lost’ village. In November 1943 all residents were told to leave within 28 days as the area was needed for forces’ training. On 17 December 1943 the last residents left believing one day they could return. Sadly this was never to happen.
"Some people went to live with relatives. Some took 'temporary' accommodation. The season was cold and wet, the upheaval was too much for some of the old ones and those who had made a living from the sea and had nothing to live for without it. They alied and pined and died. They might have lived long and happy if they had not been torn up by their roots. "
Today, the village is still part of the Army Ranges but access is now allowed most weekends and all public holidays (see ‘Opening Dates & Times’).
Take a walk along 'The Row' past the old Telephone Kiosk, wander in the empty shells of the cottages, visit the exhibitions in the old school, the church and barn at Tyneham Farm. Take a casual stroll down to the beach at Worbarrow Bay. Let your mind think of days long ago when the former residents went about their daily business.
- Continent: Europe
- Sovereign State: United Kingdom
- Country England
- County: Dorset
- GPS Coordinates: 50.623, -2.169
Comprehensive information and resources are available on Martin's external Tyneham & Worbarrow site. Material on that site is being added gradually to WikiTree.
To reproduce all transcripts currently on external site to WikiTree.
To link all persons named in transcripts to their WikiTree profiles, or where no profiles currently exist, to create them.
- #OnePlaceWednesday showcase: Tyneham, Dorset Jun 21, 2023.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Martin White and One Place Studies Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)