US Black Heritage Notables Challenge Proposal
Note: This is a draft and is all up for debate
Goal: to improve and connect profiles of USBH Notables and to recognize excellent profile development
This Challenge will run either every month or once a quarter
Month 1: (Jan 2022) Tuskegee Airmen
Each contestant is assigned a profile of a Tuskegee Airman. which has been created by the Project, and is managed by USBH. For this contest, they will all be pilots who survived WWII but are now deceased. The profile, which will have been locked before the contest begins, will contain a stub biography containing:
- The pilot’s name, date/place of birth and death
- The pilot’s parents’ names
- The generic bold header
- A link to his Draft Card
- A link to his FAG or SSDI/Death Certificate
- A link to the pilot’s https://cafriseabove.org/ profile
Points will be awarded as such:
- One point for every family member created up to 50 (? TBD) (each profile also gets counted for USBH Connecting Challenge if they click on the challenge tracker button)
- 20 points for a verified connection to the Tree
- One point for image of division patch
- One point (up to five?) for every copyright-available photo
- 1-5 points for family history
- 1-5 points for military history
- 1-5 points for post WWII history
- 1-5 points for quantity and quality of links
- 1-5 points for descriptive writing
- 1-5 points for profile completeness
- 1-5 points for categories
- One entry per contestant per month.
- (insert parameters here)
- Getting friends to add profiles in order to make a connection.
- Blatant plagiarism.
(These dates are a placeholder and are all TBD.) We will announce in early January (TBD) and accept signups until Jan 7, 2021. I will process and assign applications on that day, then launch by 3PM Eastern on Jan 11, 2022. At 3PM Eastern on Monday, Jan 17, 2022, I will lock the profiles of the Airmen and judging will commence. We will announce the winners a week later or as soon as the judges finish.
Katie Bryant and I will tally up all the subjective points at the end of the contest. We will then send the top 10 highest scoring profiles to the panel of judges. Gene Ellison has agreed to judge, we need to get two or three more.
The winner receives a badge on their own profile and some kind of sticker on the winning profile, and a shoutout on the weekly newsletter/home page/facebook group. TBD.
- Create profiles for Airmen. I will do this, make USBH the manager, but not add them yet to the master list.
- recruit panel of judges
- Signoff from WikiTree
- Create sticker or image for winning profile, plus a badge.
- list of components that make a profile "complete" (marriage, children, obituary, photos? in uniform and later in life? Contemporary newspaper clippings?)
- How do the contestants keep track of each new profile they add? G2G isn't the right place.
- Can we think of a better name for this Challenge?
- Do we want to do this monthly or quarterly?
- once we've finalized, I'll make an official Free Space Page and delete this one