Surnames/tags: US_Navy_Ships Miltary_and_War
For profiles of persons assigned to this ship, see: Category: USS Maine (ACR-1), United States Navy.
- Also see the SPACE USS Maine Disaster for a wikitree.com ROSTER.
Maine was commissioned in 1895 as an armored cruiser, the first U.S. Navy ship to be named after the state of Maine.
Officers on the Roster of the USS Maine. "A United States Navy ship that sank in Havana Harbor in February 1898, contributing to the outbreak of the Spanish–American War in April. " The phrase "Remember the Maine! To hell with Spain!" became a rallying cry for action. The Maine was sent to Havana Harbor to protect U.S. interests during the Cuban War of Independence. She blew up and sank on the evening of 15 February 1898, killing three-quarters of her crew. In 1898, a U.S. Navy board of inquiry ruled that the ship had been sunk by an external explosion from a mine. photo of her on wikipedia
- "On 9 May 1910, Congress authorized funds for the removal of the Maine, the proper interment in Arlington National Cemetery of the estimated 70 bodies still inside, and the removal and transport of the main mast. In total, 260 men lost their lives as a result of the explosion or shortly thereafter, and six more died later from injuries."
"During the salvage, remains of 66 more were found, of whom only one (an engineering officer) was identified Darwin R Merritt and returned to his home town; the rest were reburied at Arlington Cemetery, making a total of 229 buried there."
- Arlington, Annapolis, Havana, Key West
- USS Maine Monument, New York City
- Other memorials: Many parts of the wreckage were/are saved at many locations, (see wikipedia)
- "A brass torpedo tube hatch recovered from Maine is on display at Lakeside Park in Oakland, California. It was stolen from its mount in the park in May 2011, but quickly recovered by authorities after the thieves attempted to sell it for scrap metal. The large piece was relocated and mounted by OPW Facility Services in front of Oakland's Veterans building on Grand Ave."
- Monument to the Victims of the USS Maine (Havana)
- Sinking of the USS Maine headlines
- USS Maine Sinking
- Roster of the USS Maine
- USS Maine Proof Of Sinking, The World, (New York, New York) 18 Feb 1898, p.2.
- Monument to the Victims of the USS Maine (Havana) wikipedia entry