Surnames/tags: black_heritage african_american
Thank you for volunteering for the US Black Heritage Project!
Step #1 Very Important Project Pages
Before getting started, please read these important help pages that give you some basic information used by the project.
- Naming Convention for Slaves What last name do we use?
- Preferred Terminology How we choose to be respectful as a project.
- Heritage Exchange Portal Information about how to document enslaved ancestors.
Please also see the project's home page for a list of some of our special events, our mission, and the very important use of our project sticker.
Step #2 Required New Member Form
Please complete this short form. Once you have submitted your answers, you will receive the project badge and someone from the New Membership Team will contact you about starting the US Black Heritage PATH.
What do we do as a project?
- See our current list of teams.
- You can see a list of specific tasks on our project tasklist.
- See our project's home page for our mission.
Requirements for joining the US Black Heritage Project:
- Have Family Member level membership and sign the Honor Code.
- Read the 3 very important pages linked above.
- Complete the New Member Form linked above.
- Declare what you would like to work on within the project.
Once you join we ask you to:
- Enter one of the two US Black Heritage Project PATH tracks and work to complete it.
- Join at least one project team and make at least one contribution towards the project's goals every six months
- Join the project's Google Discussion Group
- Respond to the six-monthly check-in and to your team leader/coordinator
- Add black_heritage to the tags you follow to keep up with project posts
Please add the tag "black_heritage" to your profile if you would like to keep up with updates and posts in g2g.
You can also add the tag "slavery" and/or "heritage_exchange" if you are interested in this area of the project.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: US Black Heritage Project WikiTree and Emma MacBeath. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)