Surnames/tags: slavery black_heritage
This page contains links to sources from which Wikitreers can create slave owners and enslaved people. The primary audience is US Black Heritage Pathfinders .... I am trying to hand-pick documents which have a fairly unique name for the slave owner (i.e., not John Smith), and a few enslaved ancestors.
If you are going to work on a document, please place your WikiID and date beside it, thanks!
- Joseph Adams, (6 slaves), has 1850 slave schedule entry in Coweta County, inventory: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9QM-X5BT?i=490&wc=9SBF-VZH%3A267648701%2C267725901&cc=1999178 & https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9QM-XTYB?i=495&wc=9SBF-VZH%3A267648701%2C267725901&cc=1999178 Bill of Sale: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99QM-XRY4?i=512&wc=9SBF-VZH%3A267648701%2C267725901&cc=1999178 Will: "Georgia Probate Records, 1742-1990" Catalog: Coweta County, Georgia probate records Record of wills v. A-B 1828-1892 -- annual returns 1829-1838 Image path: Georgia Probate Records, 1742-1990 > Coweta > Wills and returns 1828-1892 vol A-B > image 328 of 522; citing Houston County Probate Court Judge, Georgia. FamilySearch Image: 3QS7-99QM-2P6B (accessed 31 March 2023)
- Moses Kelly (6 slaves, two mother/child sets) bill of sale: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99QM-XRY4?i=512&wc=9SBF-VZH%3A267648701%2C267725901&cc=1999178 sale to Andrew Calhoun (family of 7): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSLX-Y3K2?i=154&cat=231375
- James Land has bare-bones WT profile, needs slave inventory/sale added (2 slaves with ages): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9QM-X5YR?i=498&wc=9SBF-VZH%3A267648701%2C267725901&cc=1999178
- John Porter (no WT profile as of Jan2023), names son Hugh Francis Porter in codicil on following page, with 2 slaves, Tom & wife Charlotte. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939L-F6QF-4?i=112&wc=M6NW-WNL%3A210902801%2C210926001&cc=1919417
- William Richey (will dated 1847, no WT profile as of Jan 2023) named several sons & daughters incl Nancy Hawthorn, Jane Mosely & Margaret Mattison to receive named slaves.
- Thomas Wilson, Esq, slave owner, bill of sale. No WT profile as of 17Jan2023. (note - finding enough info for this person might be a bit tough) Document: https://lcdl.library.cofc.edu/lcdl/catalog/lcdl:78367
- 1770 will on Ancestry, couldn't find on FS. Joseph Miles, names at least 2 slaves.
- ↑ "South Carolina Probate Records, Bound Volumes, 1671-1977," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939L-F6Q6-G?cc=1919417&wc=M6NW-WNL%3A210902801%2C210926001 : 21 May 2014), Abbeville > Wills, 1837-1855, Vol. 03 > image 114 of 286; citing Department of Archives and History, Columbia.
Probate- Joseph Miles:
"South Carolina, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1670-1980", database with images
Wills and Miscellaneous Probate Records, 1671-1868; Author: Charleston County (South Carolina). Probate Judge; Probate Place: Charleston, South Carolina
Ancestry Sharing Link - Ancestry Record 9080 #14759 (accessed 17 January 2023)
Joseph Miles probate on 26 Oct 1770.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)