Surnames/tags: black_heritage slavery plantations
This page is managed by the Heritage Exchange Slavery Projects Team for the purpose of tracking all space pages created for plantations that held 40 or more slaves during its history. Slaves listed should be named and located on the plantation.
Plantations Team Leader: Michelle Detwiler
- Please create your plantation space pages with the plantation name and the location in the title. Example: Bellevue Plantation, Essex County, Virginia.
- Please request a category from team members Michelle Detwiler or Gina Jarvi. A category will then be created that will go on the profiles for any person associated with that plantation (ie: slave owners, slaves, overseers, etc).
- If the categories have not yet been created, please place the plantation below the Needs Categorization section for each state. The plantation category should be created before the profiles on that plantation.
- When creating profiles for the enslaved please make sure the Plantation Name Category is listed on each profile in the Category area.
- If you have more than one person on a plantation with the same name, ie Betty, Betty, Little Betty, etc. please initiate a "Rejected Merge" when creating those profiles so they are not accidently merged.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Michelle Detwiler, Gina Jarvi, and US Black Heritage Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)