Purpose of this Page
This page seeks to compile resources to help researchers learn about the US Southern Colonies (1600-1776, including Maryland, Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia only). It is distinct from the project's page about reliable sources that researchers are encouraged to reference when seeking data and stories about specific individuals or ancestors.
Resources for Multiple Colonies
- The Old Free State, by Landon C. Bell, History of Lunenburg County and Southside Virginia. Published in 1927. pg 216.
- A Key to Southern Pedigrees, being a comprehensive guide to the colonial ancestry of families in the States of Virginia, Maryland, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia and Alabama - Crozier, William Armstrong, 1864-1913. On label on t.p.: Genealogical Pub. Co., Baltimore, distributors
- Colonization And Settlement (1585-1763) English, French and Spanish Colonies: A Comparison NOTE: This provides a nice summary, but is copyrighted so the link is posted and not the actual document.
- Early Puritanism in the Southern and Island Colonies, by Babette M. Levy, March 1960, Hunter College
- House of Moncure Genealogy, by Marion Moncure Duncan , Adrian Cather Miller, Peyton Sagendorf Moncure, 1967. Library of Congress Catalog #67-28800
- Virginia genealogies : a genealogy of the Glassell family of Scotland and Virginia : also of the families of Ball, Brown, Bryan, Conway, Daniel, Ewell, Holladay, Lewis, Littlepage, Moncure, Peyton, Robinson, Scott, Taylor, Wallace, and others, of Virginia and Maryland by Horace Edwin Hayden, Wilkes-Barre, Penn'a: E.B. Yordy, printer, 1891. This is one of the standard references on early Virginia families and is available in digitized form at HathiTrust
- Wonderful resource for the LEWIS and MERIWETHER families in colonial Virginia. Note: this is the only preview/reading version available online: http://www.worldcat.org/title/lewises-meriwethers-and-their-kin-lewises-and-meriwethers-with-their-tracings-through-the-families-whose-records-are-herein-contained/oclc/10967210/viewporthttp://www.worldcat.org/title/lewises-meriwethers-and-their-kin-lewises-and-meriwethers-with-their-tracings-through-the-families-whose-records-are-herein-contained/oclc/10967210/viewport
- Shenandoah Valley, VA Resource: Shenandoah Valley pioneers and their descendants : https://archive.org/details/shenandoahvalle00cartgoog
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Liz Shifflett, Darlene Athey-Hill, US Southern Colonies Project WikiTree, and David Douglass. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)