Underbank Chapel was a chapel of ease for the people of Stannington who would otherwise need to travel to St Nicholas at Bradfield, or to St Mary in Ecclesfield. Both journeys were more than 5 miles along rough and hilly roads. The building was opened in 1743 when it was affiliated to the Church of England, but by 1785 it was fully Unitarian.
A brief account of the history with photographs is on Wikipedia at 
A very much more detailed account entitleld "A History of Underbank Chapel, Stannington " by Frederick T Wood is available as a PDF download via 
More photographs are available from the Picture Sheffield site  as follows: