Cochrane District, Ontario
Cochrane District was established in 1921 from parts of Nipissing (established in 1858), Temiskaming (established in 1912), and Thunder Bay Districts (established in 1871).
The first known settlement by a non-First Nation person was at Moose Factory in 1673, where a trading post was established. The area was mostly known only to First Nations and fur traders until the district was opened for settlement in the 1800's.
Black River-Matheson, Ontario
The present day community of Black River-Matheson, Ontario was established in 1969 with the amalgamation of Black River Township and the Town of Matheson. Prior to 1969, it had been two separate communities: Black River Township, Ontario and Matheson, Ontario. In 1973, Playfair Township and Kingham Improvement District were added to Black River-Matheson Township.
Black River Township, Ontario
Black River Township, Ontario was incorporated as a township in 1945. It was formed from the geographic townships of Stock, Taylor, Carr, Beatty, Bond, Currie, Bowman, Hislop, and part of Walker.
Matheson, Ontario is located near the Quebec border, at the intersection of Highway 11 and Highway 101. The town was founded in 1907 when the first post office was opened under the name McDougall Chute, named for an early trapper in the area. In 1911, the name changed to Matheson Station in honour of Arthur J Matheson, provincial treasurer. The 'Matheson Fire of 1916', a massive forest fire, left 223 people dead. It had been ignited by settlers clearing land using the 'slash and burn' technique. The fire measured 64 kilometers across when it engulfed the communities of Porquis Junction, Iroquois Falls, Kelso, Nushka, Matheson, and Ramore, destroying them completely. Nearby communities of Homer and Monteith also suffered heavy damage. Some people managed to escape on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway, while others were saved by wading into the Black River or lakes in the area. 16 mning companies operated in the area from 1917 to 1925.
Prior to the establishment of the town site, the area was used as a summer camping ground by First Nations and as a stopping place for fur traders travelling to Moose Factory. In November 1908, town lots were sold by auction when the decision was made to use the location a a junction point for the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway. The Town was incorporated on January 1, 1910 and named after Frank Cochrane, who was a politician and merchant. The town of Cochrane, Ontario was devastated by fire in 1910, 1911, and again in 1916. In 2000, the town expanded through amalgamation with the neighbouring townships of Glackmeyer, and Lamarche. Today, English is spoken as a first language by about half of the residents there. French is the first language for about 43% of the population. Cochrane is most famous for its Polar Bears, with a large statue known as 'Chimo', that was put up in the 1970s. There is also a Polar Bear Conservation and Educational Habitat and Heritage Village located on the edge of town.
The municipality of Fauquier-Strickland was established in 1984, from a name change for Shackleton and Machin Township. It does not actually include the geographic township of Fauquier, which is located in Moonbeam, Ontario.
Shackleton and Machin Township, Ontario
Shackleton and Machin Township was incorporated in 1921. It changed its name to Fauquier-Strickland, Ontario in 1984.
Hearst, Ontario was originally established as the village of Grant. Its name was changed to Hearst in 1911 in honour of William Howard Hearst. The town was formally incorporated in 1922.
Iroquois Falls, Ontario
Iroquois Falls, Ontario is located in the geographic township of Calvert, in Cochrane District, Ontario. In 1913, construction began on the first planned town in northern Ontario. It was incorporated in 1915. On January 1, 1969 the Township of Calvert was amalgamated with the existing town of Iroquois Fall.
Geographic Township of Calvert
In December 1918, the hamlets of Ansonville and Montrock were amalgamated to form the geographic township of Calvert. This township amalgamated with the existing town of Iroquois Falls, Ontario to form a larger town.
The town of Kapuskasing, Ontario was established in 1910 as MacPherson, Ontario. In 1917, the name was changed to Kapaskasing. It incorporated as a town in 1921. In 1964, Val Albert Improvement District was added to the town.
The township of Mattice-Val-Côté was incorporated on April 18, 1975, as the United Townships of Eilber and Devitt. The name was officially changed to Mattice-Val-Côté in 1983.
Eilber and Devitt Township, Ontario
The two main communities in the township are Mattice, which was first settled in 1910 with the arrival of the railway. Val-Côté received its first post office in 1927 under the name Cote Siding. The name was changed in 1935 to Val-Côté.
The township of Moonbeam, Ontario was incorporated in 1922, but settlement in this area began in 1912 with the arrival of the railway. In 1909, the family of Théodule and Valentine Léonard were the first to settle in the area. In 1912 there were ten shacks built on the village site near the railway station. A. J. Macdonald, Surveyor reported: "The village has only started to build in 1915."
Moosonee was first established as a fur trading post in 1903, by Revillion Freres of Paris, France. It is said the first settlers were Annie Hardisty and her two daughters. The trading post competed with the Hudson Bay Company. The arrival of the railroad in 1932 saw Moosonee become the transportation hub for all the James Bay coastal communities. Moosonee is not connected to the rest of the Province of Ontario by road and all visitors and residents arrive either by rail or air. About 85% of the population are Cree. There is a small French polulation, but the main language spoken is English, with Cree as a second language. For more information about Moosonee, Ontario: |Moosonee, Official Website
The township of Opasatika, Ontario was established in 1923 by settlers from northern Quebec. In 1976, Opasatika was made an improvement district through the amalgamation of the geographic Township of McCrae and the west half of the geographic towhship of Idington. These communities incorporated into the Township of Opasatika, in 1980.
Smooth Rock Falls, Ontario
Smooth Rock Falls was first settled in 1916 and established as an incorporated town in 1929. On May 9, 1916, William Clippa, his wife and daughter arrived in Smooth Rock Falls where they established the first home. The town's first post office was established on April 18, 1916. The town added the geographic township of Kendrey through amalgamation in 1975.
Timmins is a city in northeastern Ontario, Canada on the Mattagami River. Originally a town, it was established in 1912 and named for Henry and Noah Timmins, who helped establish the settlement.
In 1909 two prospectors discovered the "Golden Staircase", a rich vein of gold that led to the Dome Mine. Within days the Porcupine Gold Rush began, and a huge mining camp formed at Porcupine Lake, a few miles east of modern Timmins. Timmins was a company town. It was founded by Noah Timmins in 1912 following gold discoveries in the Porcupine Camp.
Four miles down the road from Timmins, around the McIntyre Mine, the hamlet of Schumacher was established, which was named after Frederick Schumacher. In the early stages of development, the community of South Porcupine was the most important town in "The Porcupine" but was later to be surpassed by both Timmins and Schumacher.
In 1931, several annexations occurred: three from Tisdale township, two from Mountjoy township and one joint annexation from both townships. The year 1973 marked the amalgamation of the Town of Timmins and thirty-five townships into the City of Timmins, the largest city in area in Canada.
Unorganized Territory in Cochrane District
In Ontario, unorganized areas are found only in the Northern Ontario region where there is no county or regional municipality level of government. Unorganized areas in Ontario are named only by the district of which they are a part, with a geographic qualifier added when a single district contains more than one such area.
Cochrane, Unorganized North Part
This region consists of numerous geographic townships and communities north of Timmins and Iroquois Falls, Ontario. This page contains a list of those unincorporated townships and communities.
Cochrane, Unorganized South East Part, Ontario
The Unorganized South East Part of Cochrane District is an unorganized area in Ontario, encompassing the small portion of the Cochrane District, immediately surrounding Highway 11 at the division's southern boundary with Timiskiming District, Ontario which is not part of the municipality of Black River-Matheson, Ontario
Cochrane, Unorganized South West Part, Ontario
The Unorganized South West Part of Cochrane District is an unorganized area in Ontario, encompassing the small portion of the Cochrane District, between Black River-Matheson and Timmins, which is not part of either municipality.
Val Rita-Harty, Ontario
The communities of Val Rita and Harty were amalgamated and incorporated in 1973 under the name Owens Williamson and Idington Township, Ontario