upload image

Valleyfield, Newfoundland

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: 1890 to 1980
Location: Bonavista, Newfoundland Colonymap
Profile manager: Brad Foley private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 298 times.



Valleyfield, Newfoundland is a village and was served by the C.N.R. It joined the Rural District of Badger's Quay-Valleyfield-Pool's Island in April 1980 until 1992 when the District merged with other nearby towns to form New-Wes-Valley. Valleyfield first appears in the 1891 Census as Northwest Arm, with eleven families living there[1].

The growth of Pool's Island led consequently to the settlement of the adjacent mainland as the small island could no longer accommodate its growing population. Valleyfield was listed in the census of 1891 as the Northwest Arm and had approximately eleven families living there.

Early Families

According to Marlene and Otis Burton (1971) the Valleyfield area was settled on the north and south sides of the inlet by families from Greenspond and Pool's Island. According to oral tradition the first settlers were James Ricketts (abt.1830-) and Thomas Ricketts (of Seal Cove, White Bay), William Welcher and Christopher and John Stratton (of Greenspond), Peter and James Burry and, in the 1890s, Abraham, Samuel and Abel Stratton.


What links to this page.


  1. Wikipedia entry for Valleyfield, Newfoundland and Labrador.


    Settlement in Badger's Quay-Valleyfield-Pool's Island began on Pool's Island, called Fool's Island until the 1850s. The island, like Greenspond, the Gooseberry Islands, the Fair Islands, the Flat Islands and the islands about Cape Freels, was visited in the late 1700s and settled about 1800 by land- based seal fishermen and inshore cod fishermen. According to Chesley W. Sanger (1977) these headland and island locations in northem Bonavista Bay were situated along the principal migration route of the harp seal and emerged as the foci of the land-based seal hunt of the early 1800s<ref>Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador, 1994 volume 1 (Extract: letter B). [http://collections.mun.ca/cdm/ref/collection/cns_enl/id/1505 Entry for Badger's Quay-Valleyfield-Pool's Island, p. 106]. Memorial University of Newfoundland Website. Accessed 2018.</li></ol></ref>

  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.