Location: Vega de Granada, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Surnames/tags: Spain Andalusia Granada
Vega de Granada
|Parroquia de la |
Encarnación de Albolote
Vega de Granada was included in the network for agricultural exploitation. Later, in Muslim times, it was primarily occupied by peasants that cultivated the mulberry trees for the production of silk. In 1492 Islamic Emirate of Granada surrendered to the Catholic monarchs, marking one of the most significant events in Granada's history. The Muslim residents were free to practice their faith until 1501 when the Castilian Crown mandated they convert to Christianity or emigrate.
The church in Vega de Granada, "Iglesia de la Encarnación" (Church of the Incarnation), was built after the Muslim mosque was demolished in 1580. The altarpiece, a relief of the Incarnation, Calvary and the Eternal father, is a stunning sculpture created in 1606.
Genealogy Research Information
- Civil registration records in Spain (government birth certificates, marriage certificates, and death certificates) began in 1871.
- Births, marriages, and deaths were recorded by the local Juzgado de la Paz or Oficinia del Registro Civil. The records are still housed in their local municipal archives. Spain also has a central repository for civil registration.
- The Catholic Church has created several different records. The most used in genealogical research include: baptisms (bautizos, bautismos), marriages (matrimonios), and burials (entierros, defunciones, fallecimientos). Other records include: confirmations (confimaciones) and pre-marriage investigations (expedientes matrimoniales, información matrimonial).
- Some municipios (towns/cities) may have civil registration records beginning as early as 1837. Some of them have been microfilmed and/or digitized by FamilySearch.
- Larger cities may have multiple civil registration districts, and smaller towns may have their own civil registration office, or belong to an office of a nearby town.
- Albolote parish records only available at a LDS Family History Center.
- Civil Registration records for Albondón, Granada and Loja, on FamilySearch.org.
- Granada Municipal Records on FamilySearch.org. This contains records from twenty-four parishes, including the parish of Granada.
- Land and Property records on FamilySearch.org. This is a non-indexed book you can browse.
- Last Will and Testament certificates can be ordered from the Ministry of Justice.
- Military Records for Granada, Spain on FamilySearch.org. This page includes links to records for the national militia, the enlistments processes, and fifths for several parishes.
- Nobility in Granada as viewed on FamilySearch.org. The second book, available here, is much smaller (only 585 images).
- Spain, Province of Granada, Catholic Pre-Marriage Investigation Files, 1556-1899 on FamilySearch.org. This is an index only, with the images available only at a LDS Family History Center.
- Albolote City Council Parish Churches, Albolote as viewed 29 July 2020, Albolote.org. This contains historical information about the parish churches of San Isidro Labrador and la Encarnación.
- Description of the stages of Mass, as viewed 29 Jul 2020 on misas.org.
- Irving, Washington. "A Chronicle of the Conquest of Granada" (Paris: Baudry, at the Foreign Library, 1829).
- Murphy, James Cavanah. "The History of the Mahometan Empire in Spain," (London: William Bulmer and Co, 1816).
- Ramos, Valeriano Sanchez. "National Marian Congress on Advocations of the Virgin linked to nature: History, art and culture," (Albolote: Centro Virgitano de Esudios Historicos, 1016). [This is a 608 page pdf file with information on the various images of the Virgin Mary.]
- Úrsula. "Iglesia de la Encarnación, de Albolote (Granada), por Úrsula," En Clase de Patrimonio, Enclasedepatrimonio.blogspot.com, last updated 6 Oct 2009, viewed 29 July 2020. [This is a short blog on the history of Albolote.]
- Vega de Granada municipalities list, with links to each of the forty-one locations.
- WikiTree One Place Studies project with existing One Place Studies.
- ↑ Vega de Granada on Wikipedia; viewed 29 July 2020.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Iglesia de la Encarnación (Albolote)," Granadapedia.wikanda.es, viewed 29 July 2020.
- ↑ "The Conquest of Granada," Encyclopædia Britannica, accessed 29 July 2020, Britannica.com.
- ↑ Albolote City Council Parish Churches, Albolote as viewed 29 July 2020, Albolote.org. This contains historical information about the parish churches of San Isidro Labrador and la Encarnación.
- ↑ Martin, Paco. "Casas de Cabildo, Obras Datadas de Pablo de Rojas" PacoMartinRosales, last updated 7 Jun 2019, viewed on 29 July 2020, PacoMartinRosales.BlogSpot.com.
- Last updated (09:42, 29 July 2020 (UTC))