Location: United States
About the Project
The Vining Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Vining name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Vining name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Vining's), by time period (18th Century Vining's), or by topic (Vining DNA, Vining Occupations, Vining Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Vining Name Study, first start out by browsing our current research pages to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
If a research page does not yet exist for your particular area of interest, please contact the Name Study Coordinator: Bill Vining for assistance.
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
Vining Name Study Goals
Here are some of the current goals the study would like to achieve. I'll be working on them, and could use your help!
1. Document origin the Vining surname.
2. Preserve information on the Vining surname.
3. Display DNA connections of the Vining surname.
Ongoing work topics:
- Work on John Vining, detailed source and confirmation showing parents Robert Vining and Mary Reade? Wincanton, Sommerset church records show John, Son of Robert and Mary Vining born April 1636. Is the "Mary" listed in the church records Mary Reade? Is there any documented source information showing the marrage of Robert Vining to a Mary Reade?
- Work on William Vining. Is the William Vining of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, Weymouth Massachusettss and father of William Vining the brother of John Vining? There exists some documentary evidence that William Vining is John Vining's nephew. Wincanton, Sommerset church records show show the birth of a William Vining to Robert and Mary Vining on 22, June 1645. This William, the brother of John Vining was said to have traveled to the colonies after John Vining's arrival.
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and William Vining. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)