The voyage of the Shalimar to Victoria, Australia in 1854/55
The Shalimar left Liverpool 22nd(?or 23rd) November 1854, arriving in Sandridge (now Port Melbourne) on 8 February 1855.
- [BY ELECTRIC TELEGRAPH.]
- Queenscliff, February 8,
- Half-past eight, p.m.
- The ship Shalimar, from Liverpool, with passengers all well, arrived within the Heads at seven o'clock this evening. 
She sailed for Hobson's Bay on 23rd November, 1854, was off Cape Northhumberland in 67 days, but owing to head winds took another 10 days to reach her port. She came home in 75 days, her whole voyage, including 45 days in port, only occupying 6 months and 14 days. The newspaper report of her passage out states that she ran 420 miles in the 24 hours on one occasion, though unfortunately it gives no particulars. 
Shalimar. ship. Capt. Amos Robertson, left, Liverpool on 23rd November, 1854. and arrived in Melbourne 8th February, 1855 — 76 days.... 425 in the second and third classes. No deaths. ... A ship of the first, class in a day when standards were very high 
I have heard my aunt (who came out before my mother) say she went down to the Heads to see the ship come in. When it was so close that those on shore could see the passengers walking about the deck, a storm sprang up and blew the ship back to sea. Those on shore thought they would not see it again, but it returned weeks after, safe and sound.
- ↑ Trove, National Library of Australia, The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954) Fri 9 Feb 1855 Page 4 ELEVEN DAYS LATER ENGLISH NEWS., https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/154849917
- ↑ Shalimar, http://www.ppreservationist.com/Clippership_files/TheLists.htm
- ↑ Trove, National Library of Australia, The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954) Sat 9 Jun 1934 Page 6 TO THE EDITOR OF THE AGE., https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/204826772
- ↑ Trove, National Library of Australia, The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954) Sat 23 Jun 1934 Page 6 Shalimar., https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/204811845
- Ozships, Australian shipping 1788-1968, Index file 61, Vessels arriving by year, http://www.blaxland.com/ozships/events/7/620.htm#63425
- Public Record Office Victoria, Unassisted passenger lists, (1852-1923) Record Series Number (VPRS): 947, Text: Ship: SHALIMAR; Arrival Year: 1855; Arrival Month: FEB; Master: ROBERTSON AMOS; Origin port code: B; Fiche number: 86; Page of list: 16, https://prov.vic.gov.au/index.php/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration/unassisted-passenger-lists
- Trove, National Library of Australia, The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954) Sat 2 Jun 1934 Page 6 Shalimar., https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/204825706
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)