Location: South Australia
The Voyage of the Immigrant Ship Navarino to the South Australian Colony in 1854
size: 479 tons
built: 1808 at Cochin, coast of Malabar, India
sailed: Wednesday, May 3, 1854 from Southampton
master: T. Storey
surgeon superintendent: Edward Gregory Leeson
arrived: Sunday 13th August 1854 at Port Adelaide, South Australia. (passengers disembarked next day)
passengers: 233 emigrants. (4 deaths and 3 births on voyage)
The Government emigrant ship above- named arrived at the Lightship anchorage at a late hour last evening, from Southampton, as elsewhere reported. From the following numerical statement, it appears that the num- ber of souls arrived is only one less than at the period of embarkation : —
Number embarked 234
Deaths (infants) 4
Reckoned as equal to 197½ statute adults. During the voyage, there have been no fewer than 59 cases of measles and 30 cases of hooping-cough, but nothing of the kind was prevalent on board on arrival ; on the contrary, the emigrants, as a body, appear to be remarkably healthy. from the South Australian Register of Tuesday 15 August 1854, Page 2.
from the Adelaide Observer of Saturday 19th of August, 1854 we see this following Passenger List:
Monday, August 14—The ship Navarino, 479 tons, T. Storey, master, from Southampton May 4. Passengers —Rev. A. R. and Mrs. Russell and 2 children, in the cabin; Barret and wife, Barter wife and 3 children, Beard and wife, Beaumont and wife, Bellstone and wife, Bichard and wife, Bisson wife and 3 children, Brooks and wife, Bungey and wife, Bungey wife and 4 children, Carter wife and child, Chalker and wife, Chevalier wife and child, Colley wife and child, Colleypress and wife, Dawson wife and 2 children, Delemare and wife, Deller and wife, Dumont and wife, Evans wife and 2 children, Fry and wife, Fuller wife and 2 children, Gumley wife and 2 children, Gaignet and wife, Hellier and wife, Hobbs and wife, Hockley and wife, Huret wife and child, Thomas, May, Keates wife and 5 children, LePage and wife, LePage wife and 3 children, LeSauvage wife and 2 children, Low wife and 3 children, McLean wife and 5 children, Marshall and wife, Mangu wife and 3 children, Mollet and wife, Mollet wife and 2 children, Mould wife and 2 children, Ogier and wife, Pengelley wife and child, Pays and wife, Dixon, James, Rabbits wife and 2 children, Rehoy wife and child, Richards and wife, Rose wife and 2 children, Strawbridge and wife, Stiggants wife and 2 children, Gorode and wife, Gougean and wife, Watts wife and child, Whitehead wife and child; single women— Alley, Benney, Bisson 2, Brown 3, Butler, Condon, Con- stable, Curtis, Delamare 4, Denon, Duncan 4, Elrington, Green, Griffiths, Haller, Haynes, Jeans, Keats 2, Lam- pard, LeSauvage, McLean 3, Mangu, Ogier 2, Talmer, Parish 3, Pengelly, Tilthouse, Gosley, Rehoy, Beilley 2, Robin, Roberts, Rose 3, Talbot, Wayland 5, Newling— 233 Government emigrants. Elder and Co., agents.
PASSENGER LISTS etc.
- ship Navarino, 479 tons, Captain T. Storey, from Southampton 4th May 1854, arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 14th August 1854 transcribed and submitted to The Ships List by Robert Janmaat at: http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/navarino1854.shtml
- 04/05/1854 - 14/08/1854 from Passengers in History an initiative of the South Australian Maritime Museum at: http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/voyage-passengers-all/944947/04/05/1854%20-%2014/08/1854?title=&page=3
- Results for South Australia, Passenger Lists 1847-1886 from Find My Past database at: https://www.findmypast.com.au/search/results?datasetname=south+australia%2c+passenger+lists+1847-1886&eventyear=1854&eventyear_offset=0&shipname=navarino
- Overseas Arrivals to South Australia – Late 1854 from Reg Butlers' Immigration to South Australia - Shipping Lists 1836 to 1890 at: https://localwiki.org/adelaide-hills/Overseas_Arrivals_to_South_Australia_-_late_1854
- SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE. from the South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900) of Wednesday 16 August 1854, Page 2. at: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/49202000?
- SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE. From the Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904) of Saturday 19 August 1854, Page 7. at: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/158098623?
- 17/1854 - Navarino from the State Records of SA, Passenger Lists at: https://www.archives.sa.gov.au/sites/default/files/documentstore/passengerlists/1854/GRG35_48_1_54-17_Navarino.pdf