Surnames/tags: Wales Sourcerers
Welcome to the Wales Sourcerers Team page
Team Leader: Jutta (Armstrong) Beer
Team Members: Stuart Beavis | Hilary Gadsby | Melanie Paul | Colin Hardy | Steve Beacall | Nikki Orvis | Diane Matthews | Paula Merchant | Jerry Owens | Chris Sharkey | Barb Winter | Wendy Jones | Sylvia Harper
As part of the Wales Profile Improvement Teams, the Sourcerers Team works to improve the content on people profiles related to Wales.
Sourcerers find sources for Wales Unsourced Profiles. The ideal is to provide a source for each fact on a profile, but even one source helps to lead genealogists to the profile and confirms the person's existence.
Team members must make a least one contribution every six months towards the teams goals, communicate regularly with your Team Leader and respond to the six-month check-ins.
To become a member of the Wales Sourcerers Team post an Answer on G2G welcome post to join the Wales Project and indicate you would like to join this team.
Where to Begin
Sometimes it's difficult to know where to start. Here are some ideas.
Start at “Home”
- Profiles that you manage are the best place to start. Set an example. Go to the navigation links tab “Find” and then select “Unsourced Profiles.” This will show you any of your own profiles which need sources.
Wales Unsourced Profiles
- A list of unsourced profiles can be found at Wales, Unsourced Profiles. This page contains a list of unsourced profiles in Wales and links to unsourced profiles in each of the counties. If you are interested in a particular surname you can use the “Jump to a Letter” go straight to it.
- We also have a Wales statistics page which is a great place to start and you'll also be able to see that your efforts are having a great effect on the quality of the profiles within Wales. See Wales & County Statistics Page We track Wales as a whole on a variety of measures and report weekly for the counties too. Also on this page are the links to the maintenance categories. More on those in the guidelines - see below.
Wales Star Profiles
- Star Profiles are those that are visited most often and it's important we get them looking good and make sure they are well sourced. This report gives links to suggestions relating to these profiles many of which need sources. Wales 5-Star Profiles
Wales Sourcing Guidelines
Stuck on Sourcing?
If you need help resolving a problem, please don't struggle alone. Other Sourcerers or members of the wider Wales Project may be able to help. See below for the best way to communicate with other team members.
- NEW WikiTree Sourcer is a browser extension which helps you easily check for sources in multiple places including the GRO, FreeBMD, FindaGrave, Ancestry and Findmypast. You can read me about it here: WikiTree Sourcer Browser extension and there is a user guide available here: WikiTree Sourcer User Guide. I cannot recommend this enough! It not only fills search boxes for you it will also write citations and build household tables from census records.
Communication with Team Members
Members of the teams in the Profile Improvement Teams (PIT) group have three methods to communicate:
- The place to get the quickest response and the most interaction is the Wales Project Discord channel. If you are not yet on Discord please contact a Team Leader.
- Communication with members of all teams in PIT; use the WikiTree’s Wales Project Google Group to make a post and select the tag “Profile-Improvements” found at the bottom of the page.
- You can also use the Comments section at the bottom of this page or on the Wales Profile Improvement Team page.
- Help: Sources Provides the format to be used for different types of sources.
- Help: Sources FAQ Describes what is a source; examples of good and bad sources and use of the Unsourced Research Note Box.
- Sources-Family Genealogies This is a list of published genealogies based on specific families. The list consists of surnames in alpha order.
- My Source Library Interesting collection of online sources regarding many countries and subjects. There is a Welsh section. Bear in mind that some of the those listings are redundant to other sources in this list of Sources.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jutta Beer, Steve Bartlett, and Wales Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)