Location: Darlington, Durham, England, United Kingdom
Surnames/tags: Wedgewood Darlington
Wedgewood & Sons was a tailor's and clothier's shop. It was founded by Henry Wedgewood (1848–1916). In the early days it occupied premises on Parkgate, Darlington, but for the latter 90 years of its existence it was located on Stonebridge. Henry left it to his sons Arthur and Joseph. Arthur (1878–1958) carried on the business until he died. The upstairs workroom had closed in 1952 because of staffing difficulties. His son, also Arthur, carried it on until the shop was demolished for the A167 ring-road in 1965.
There is evidence that the business was 140 years old when it was closed down in 1965. Henry Wedgewood married Annie Masterman in 1869 and likely that was the year they moved to Darlington from North Yorkshire, so on the face of it the business cannot have existed for more than 96 years but perhaps it was started earlier by someone else and came into the hands of Henry later.
- an article on the closure of the business in the Northern Despatch on 31 March 1965
- the obituary of Arthur Wedgewood in the Northern Echo on 29 December 1958